.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 26, 2008

Well, shoot...


Tomorrow (September 27th) is National Hunting and Fishing Day.

The picture above is of my first gun. I've had it since I turned old enough to go hunting, which makes that nearly 40 years. I just got it back a week ago from the gunsmith where I dropped a couple of "C notes" to have it reconditioned.

Anyway, regarding National Hunting and Fishing Day; in June 1971, Sen. Thomas McIntyre, N.H., introduced Joint Resolution 117 authorizing National Hunting and Fishing Day on the fourth Saturday of every September. Rep. Bob Sikes, Fla., introduced an identical measure in the House. In early 1972, Congress unanimously passed both bills. On May 2, 1972, President Nixon signed the first proclamation of National Hunting and Fishing Day, writing, "I urge all citizens to join with outdoor sportsmen in the wise use of our natural resources and in insuring their proper management for the benefit of future generations."

There is an organization devoted to the day.
(You can find their website HERE)

Ted Nugent, well known musician and outdoorsman, wrote about it:

Kill 'Em & Grill 'Em

The "Motor City Madman" certainly has a way with words...

10 Comments:

Blogger Bunny said...

Time to go hunting, huh, camo? I know you already have the attire for it... ;-)

September 26, 2008 10:27 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

I'll go fishing (weather permitting) but hunting? Not so much. You may have guessed that I'm not a fan of shooting anything except a target. Yep, I'm a wimp!

September 26, 2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger benning said...

"Shhhhhhhh!

Be vewy, vewy quiet! I'm hunting wabbits!

Heheheheheheheheh!" - Elmer Fudd, Hunter

Have a blast, Camo!

September 26, 2008 2:58 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I don't hunt, except at the grocery store, but my first rifle was an 1898 Mauser, and my first shotgun was a Belgium Browning, both of which Dad brought back from War II.

I learned how to shoot squirrels on the fly, which skill served me well later in life. It's my understanding that Audie Murphy shared such expertise.

A firearm is just a tool; I have spent hours watching my pistols, and they have yet to make a move like they're going to jump up, run down, and rob the local 7-11. Every time some liberal makes a remark about "gun crime", I feel that visceral reaction.

September 26, 2008 3:38 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

I enjoy hunting very much. I've hunted most critters with a variety of weapons, including stick bows, compound bows and many different types of firearms. I also have several different camouflage outfits in varying degrees of weight for almost every climate imaginable;many in more than one pattern.

I have killed and eaten many of God's creatures, including deer, squirrel, beaver, raccoon, rabbit, black bear and several others.

I can sing every word of most of Ted Nugent's songs including Fred Bear.

I guess you could say I respect National Hunting and Fishing Day!

September 26, 2008 7:20 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Bunny:
Quite so; I, of all people, certainly have the attire for hunting.

boberin:
I like trout fishing best, for some reason. Maybe because they seem to be more of a challenge to catch.

benning:
Scwewy wabbit! :-)

Trotting Possum:
Actually, I prefer bow hunting. Perhaps for the same reason as I like trout fishing...more of a challenge.

Also, you're quite correct about guns, they're quite harmless left to themselves.

Beerme:
I have a number of bows, too. I've also eaten a few items from your list (deer, rabbit and squirrel) in addition to pheasant, from hunting trips in the past.

As for the "Nuge", he's one of a kind...

September 26, 2008 7:35 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

I was quite a markswoman in my days. My California neighbors always nicknamed me Annie Oakley after I cleared their backyards of those nasty germ infested ground squirrels, never missed a shot.

I never got a deer when I lived in Minnesota, though I bagged many partridges. Every time I set out to go deer hunting the weather got to nasty and though I like hunting, bad weather is not one thing I cherished.

Nowadays I just stalk that hole in one.

September 27, 2008 1:07 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

You must be one those people from Pennsylvania that "cling to guns...", etc. Don't look now but I think Obama just dissed you.

(:D) Best regards...

September 27, 2008 1:53 PM  
Blogger KA said...

hunting day? What a coincidence? I'm testing out my new glock on the range tomorrow.

September 27, 2008 4:42 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Ms RightWing:
Ground squirrels, huh? Nothing but RATS!!! Good for you.

Hawkeye®:
I cling to guns and religion. Get it Right. :-)

ToughGirl101:
You go, girl!!!

September 27, 2008 8:01 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter