.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Please don't feed the animals!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
(Internet troll)
In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory messages on the internet, such as on online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants. It can also be used as a verb, meaning to post such messages, and "trolling" (the gerund) is also commonly used to describe the activity.


Some more related links:
Cunningham & Cunningham, Inc.
Fact Index
Indiana University
NationMaster
The Jargon File
Urban Dictionary

For whatever reason, there are a number of individuals who seem to take great delight in disrupting various groups of posters, most often (I believe) due to some character flaw. They may simply be anarchistic, narcissistic or whatever, but their motives are generally suspect. A lot of them seem to feel as though they are intellectually superior to most others, whether this is valid or not. Sometimes, people are accused of being trolls when it is really not their intention to be such, but time will generally tell.

In any case, the best advice is "Do not feed the trolls"...

15 Comments:

Blogger FrankenLooper said...

So what did R-n-R say this time?

November 30, 2005 6:29 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

JannyMae:
Could be...I wouldn't doubt it.

Nightwalker:
I don't think R-n-R is a troll, so much as a zealot...

November 30, 2005 6:38 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Camo, great pic! That's exactly how I visualized them.

Regards,
Hawkeye®

November 30, 2005 7:21 PM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

You got my good side.
Love,
liger, dirty pants, Cloven Steamheap.

November 30, 2005 9:09 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
I think it represents them well.

Libby Gone™:
Careful! You might convince me of something you don't really want to...

November 30, 2005 10:09 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

rusty:
Funny. It looks more like me than it does you, anyway.

November 30, 2005 10:29 PM  
Blogger KWL said...

More Cheese Please

December 01, 2005 7:50 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

kwl:
?! Sorry, I don't get the reference...

December 01, 2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

he y camojk, i lik e wut u said about troles! Haha, i allso see you habwe a blog. I 2 hab a blog, a bery progrerssibe one!

December 02, 2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Mr. Baldo:
Your sales pitch is so good, I almost wish I was bald...almost, that is.

But welcome to my li'l corner o' da "blogosphere"!

Josh Fahrni:
Hey lad, long time no "see". How's Montana treating you? I was out West for Thanksgiving Week...

December 03, 2005 2:52 PM  
Blogger Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

Eh, it has been a bit...but I'm always reading...just not taking the time to write these thing's out. Anyhow...Montucky is...Cold. And I think I've gone native. Sheep are looking Sexy, and I'm starting to hear voices drawing me to the train tracks...

Hahahaha. *Shivers* Couldn't help myself...

December 03, 2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Josh:
I know it gets damnably cold in Montana; dipstick heater plugs hanging out from under vehicle hoods are fairly commonplace there...

December 03, 2005 10:40 PM  
Blogger Josh Fahrni-Barn Army Dog Catcher said...

I was talking to a guy here...he says when it's minus 30 (which apparently is commonplace in the winter, although I haven't yet seen it) the whole city shuts down, so people dont go out...He said a few years ago, it was minus 110 with windchill...No friggin way...

December 04, 2005 3:35 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Josh:
Back in April of '83, a crosswind made me spin out on the ice in Bozeman Pass; I struck a guardrail and eventually wound up sliding to a stop on the shoulder whilst going backwards on the port side of my van. It was kind of fun, in retrospect, but scary while it was happening.

Way...

December 04, 2005 9:09 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

hooey:
My metabolism adjusted to Hawaii when I was stationed there some decades ago...and I've never forced it to readjust to this temperate zone. Consequently, I'm a baby about the cold myself these days. However, I'll be back in Hawaii for a few weeks very soon...

JannyMae:
It was in the 20's last night while I was in the stadium watching my Philadelphia Eagles get whupped on Monday Night Football, and snowing too. 37º sounds warm in comparison.

I passed through Chicago during Thanksgiving Weekend, and it was indeed in the single digits.

Kajun:
'Gator bait seems like a productive use for them thar trolls...

December 06, 2005 6:58 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter