.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 23, 2005

Mele Kalikimaka!!!


It's the thing to say, On a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day.

I mention it because that's where I'll be for Christmas, as I have been for several years running, now.

This will be the last time though; for various reasons I'll be going a bit later in the Winter on future trips.

Someday, I plan to retire there, but for now I get my annual "fix" for a couple of weeks each year.

I was stationed on Oahu in the early 80's, but these days I spend my time on the Big Island...which is over twice the size of all the other islands combined, and has 13 of the 15 terrestrial climate types represented at various locations distributed over it's entirety.
(From desert to rain forest; everything but Arctic and sub-Arctic...and who needs those, anyway?!)

People often ask me about the cost of living there. While some things cost more, others cost less. Because the average daytime temperature is in the 70's, and in the 60's at night, heating/cooling costs aren't much of a factor. Plenty of meats, fruits and vegetables are produced there. In fact, the Parker Ranch is the largest in the United States. Taxes are low. Gas is expensive, but you can't have everything. Overall, it's not bad. Oh, and they don't tax pensions, either.

They grow some pretty big poinsettias there, too...

10 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Sounds like a nice place to visit. Think I'll do so someday. I gotta say that I do like the winter and the snow, though. I'm kinda wierd like that.

How would I ice fish without the cold???

December 23, 2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger mig said...

Aloha oi
You smell like poi...

heh heh heh

Have the bestest time ever!

December 23, 2005 8:13 PM  
Blogger cave_nate said...

have fun, you dog

merry Christmas,

-Nate

December 23, 2005 8:29 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
If you must ice fish, you could always visit someplace else for that.
(Or, just bait your hook with it)

mig:
Not yet I don't...but soon.

Oh, and I'll try, thanks!

cave_nate:
WOOF!!! That's the plan, amigo.

And right back at ya.

rusty:
Amen, my friend; Amen...

December 23, 2005 10:24 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Kalua Pig sounds great right about now for Christmas Dinner...

Have a Mele Luau and a Mele Ho Ho...

December 23, 2005 11:40 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
An excellent suggestion!
(I love that stuff...)

December 24, 2005 12:03 AM  
Blogger RAM said...

I wish I was one of them thar "rich Republicans"! Sounds like a fun place. ;-)

Merry Christmas Camo, and thanks for the "Singing Santa and Reindeer" video. My sister, her grandsons, and I watched it yesterday about a half dozen times. They kept saying, "Again!"

http://www.reuters.hu/card_dom/index_content.html
(Needs sound)

December 24, 2005 10:06 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

RAM:
It is the most perfect place on Earth...IM(NS)HO.

Dare I call it paradise?

Marsha:
Are you sayin' you're going to Hawaii too, my friend?! I will be there on the Big Island until January 7th; my flight is less than 10 hours from right now. Email me (quickly!) and I'll get you my contact info, if you are serious...

December 24, 2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Kajun:
Seriously? Well, maybe next time they'll let ya; I'll be coming back here in late January/early February of '07...

December 30, 2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Kajun:
In that case, I'd suggest you don't...

January 04, 2006 12:29 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter