.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A hair-razing tale!

I've been getting tired of letting my hair grow as long as it has, but it's for a great cause:
Locks of Love

According to their website:
(http://www.locksoflove.org/)

Locks of Love is a not-for-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under the age of 18 with medical hair loss. These custom-fitted hair prosthetics are provided free of charge or on a sliding scale to children whose families meet the Locks of Love Board of Directors guidelines.

Donors provide the hair, volunteers staff the office, and the manufacturer hand-assembles each piece, which requires approximately four months.

The organization, which began in 1997, has helped over 1000 children since its first year of operation. Thousands of bundles of donated hair arrive from around the country as a result of national publicity Locks of Love received in newspapers, magazines and television programs.


Donation guidelines are as follows:
(http://www.locksoflove.org/donate_hair.php)

1. We accept 10" minimum hair length (tip to tip), not wigs, falls, or synthetic hair
2. Please bundle hair in ponytail or braid.
3. Hair needs to be clean, dry, placed in a plastic bag, then padded envelope.
4. We need hair from men and women, young and old, all colors and races.
5. Hair may be colored or permed, but not bleached or chemically damaged (if unsure, ask your stylist).
6. Hair swept off the floor is not usable.
7. Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
8. Hair that is short, gray, or unsuitable for children will be separated from the ponytails and sold at fair market value to offset the cost of manufacturing.
9. You may pull curly hair straight to measure the minimum 10".
10. The majority of all hair donated comes from children who wish to help other children.
11. Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails for donation.
12. Please note: Anyone can cut your hair as long as the above guidelines are followed.


Contact information:
(http://www.locksoflove.org/contact.php)

Mailing address (all donations):
2925 10th Avenue North
Suite 102
Lake Worth, FL 33461
Phone: (561) 963-1677
Fax: (561) 963-9914
Toll Free: (888) 896-1588

It's such a painless way to make a difference to a child:



Won't you join me?

10 Comments:

Blogger cave_nate said...

shave it all off...
more hair->more love
we all know ya got a BIG heart :-)

your nappy haired friend

January 25, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

As Scott's new post would say rocks of rove.

Thirty years ago I could have donated about a yard of hair, but I discovered about 10 years ago middle-age women look younger with shorter hair.

Plus I hate snags in hair.

January 25, 2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Camo,
Welcome back to the Ten bucks a pop for a hair cut... Hope your hair makes a little girl happy...
JR

January 25, 2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

cave_nate:
Vanity prevents me from exposing the NASTY surgery scar on the port side of me noggin, my nappy-headed friend.

Ms. RightWing, Ink:
I hate snags in my hair, too, but soon it will be much shorter...so that pesky li'l problem will go away.

JR:
Nah, not me, I've got a couple of friends (named Tami & Deb) who cut my hair for free.
(On those rare occasions...)

January 25, 2006 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, now I can turn my laziness about getting hair-cuts into a virtue!

January 25, 2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Yet another act of kindness by a very kind man! God Bless you, Jack!

January 25, 2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Grant Jones:
You're welcome...and, thank you!

'da Bunny:
You're making me blush; thank you, too...

January 25, 2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

jeanne:
Sounds interesting. According to Tami, back in December, my hair is almost long enough...but I guess waiting another 1½ months or so wouldn't kill me. It would be nice to meet you, too.

I checked that website; the 2 locations closest to me are:

Cheltenham Fire Company
413 Ryers Avenue
Cheltenham, PA 19012
(19.8 miles from home)

Horsham VFW Post # 9788
324 Saw Mill Lane
Horsham, PA 19044
(18.4 miles from here)

I'm not going to let them take all of my hair, though.
(See my comment to cave nate)

pacavewolf:
I've no intention of getting my head shaved, the surgery scar on my cranium really is rather hideous.

Anyway, I've done this before...

January 25, 2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

To see a youngster lose their hair due to chemo and know they're self-conscious about it, is heartbreaking!

You're doing a good thing and should be proud. As for me, I can't shave my head due to scars and I can't grow my hair long due to my job...and there are very precious few hairs at the top of my head, anymore, anyway.

January 26, 2006 5:38 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
My mother lost all of her hair because of cancer a couple of years ago; she was happy that it all grew back, and in fact is curly now...it never had been previously.

I figure, the stuff is gonna grow anyway, so at least somebody can benefit from it.

mig:
I see you've remembered your password. :-)

No, I never saw that video you mention. Lately, I mostly avoid "da movies"...

January 26, 2006 9:45 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter