.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Back to work...

AP: WASHINGTON - Cautious employers added just 75,000 new jobs in May, the fewest in seven months, in a fresh sign the national economy is losing momentum heading into summer.

Rising energy prices, higher borrowing costs and a cooling of the once red-hot housing market are the main forces shaping the slowdown in the country's overall economic activity. Those factors, along with sagging consumer confidence, are making companies wary of bulking up their payrolls in case the economy takes an unexpected turn for the worse, analysts said.

Taking a bit of the sting out of the sluggish job creation was the fact that the nation's unemployment rate dipped to 4.6 percent, the lowest in nearly 5 years.


I'm not looking for a new job, personally...but I will be returning to my old one after 7 weeks of medical leave, necessitated by the knee reconstruction surgery that I had in April, which was due to a skiing mishap.

However, it would appear that if I was seeking a new job, there are still some to be had.

The current unemployment rate is typically considered to reflect that portion of the populace who don't really want to work, for whatever reason, or those who cannot keep a job due to being unreliable.
(For whatever reason)

I'm certainly looking forward to earning my usual pay again, but other than the circumstances, I have enjoyed having the time off...

6 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Camo, don't overdo it when you go back. How's it feeling BTW?

Regards...

June 03, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Jack,

What exactly did they do to your knee?
I ask because I've had a couple of simple knee surgeries myself.

Hope you're up to speed. Now get back to work!

June 03, 2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Oh NO ! I do so hope you didn't catch that 'Welfare Mentality" that seems to be spreading across the land. I wouldn't think it could get a very strong hold oin you in only 7 weeks.
BTW, was the skiing trip worth it ,if you know what I mean?heh,heh, heh.

June 03, 2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger KWL said...

Camo, we can't seem to hire enough!! And everywhere we read, our economy is bleak.
Hmmm.
Glad to hear you are healed good enough to get back to working on them whirly bird fixed wing contraption thingamajigs, if you know what I mean......(I love those things by the way!!)

June 04, 2006 1:42 AM  
Blogger RAM said...

I think we all know that even if EVERYONE in America had a job, there would STILL be a problem with Bush, be it, (1) still not making enough money, or (2) not enough safety requirement by employers, or (3) lack of paid healthcare, or----need I go on?

Besides, it would have to be due to the previous administration wouldn't it? ;-)

June 04, 2006 2:11 AM  
Blogger mig said...

Take it easy on the knee. I'll be praying for ya!

June 04, 2006 8:25 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter