.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Niihau

I returned recently from my annual trip to Hawaii. In addition to Kauai and the Big Island, I also went to Niihau for the first time...so now I've been to all of the main islands typically seen in depictions of the State, as seen below.

Niihau is privately owned, and also has a village of native Hawaiians living there.

A rudimentary map of the island (lifted from "Da 'Net") is here:

The owners of Niihau run helicopter excursions to the island from Kauai; consequently, because I was going to be there I availed myself of the opportunity to "complete the set", so to speak.

I got to sit in the co-pilot seat. :-)

Approaching the island of Niihau.

The village of Puuwai off in the distance.

Northern end of Niihau with Lehua just beyond it. Lehua (like Molokini, which is South of Maui) is the top of a mostly submerged volcano. It used to be owned by the same family that owns Niihau, but they sold it to the State and now it's a bird sanctuary.

Lehua, as seen from above.

Some of the Niihauans met the helicopter, because besides a group of tourists (myself included, of course) it had also brought in some supplies. The village chief (behind the wheel) is in his eighties and the vehicle was from the Korean War era.

Off to do some beach combing.

Lots of monk seals on Niihau.

Check out the rainbow; we followed it back to Kauai.

This was an interesting and educational trip...

10 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

In my work-a-day, work-a-month, work-a-year, work-a-lifetime world... I'm always jealous of your adventures.

I haven't been on a real vacation since my 2009 trip to Wyoming (the year I got laid off). I was afraid to go anywhere when I was unemployed for fear I might lose a job opportunity. Now that I'm working again, I don't have much vaca time and I'm usually too tired to go anywhere.

Sigh! Looking forward to retirement when I can kick back and relax, travel, and enjoy life for a change. Just hope I don't die before then.

(:D) Best regards...

January 24, 2012 11:07 PM  
Blogger Dimension Sing Making Institute said...

Glad you completed the set. I have three more to go.

January 25, 2012 3:41 AM  
Blogger Nick - The Survival Guru said...

Oh I want to go back to my room in Oahu to leave and go on the CAT again and take more pictures from the ocean side.I've speent the last two days puitting all my yrippictueres on one of the frames that change the photos every minute to the next. I have a ton of photos of the majestic flowers too.

January 25, 2012 11:07 AM  
Blogger Nick - The Survival Guru said...

wow! Did I write that nonsence! Pleas pick out the correct words...thank you lmao

January 25, 2012 11:09 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 25, 2012 1:51 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

Beautiful, Camo. I'm jealous!

January 25, 2012 5:39 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Are you still planning to move to Hawaii eventually? I remember years ago you tried to convince me it was the best place ever to plant your feet. I disagreed at that time, but you know what, my bags are packed. This Ohio weather truly sucks. You can't even get a decent winter anymore.

I can hear all my friends when I say I am moving (pretend, pretend). They convinced me to move from Montana, ain't going to happen again.

Truly glad you can chase lives adventures.

January 25, 2012 9:51 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
Hopefully you can go on a "real" vacation again sometime soon.

mmezalick:
I'm guessing that Niihau is one that you haven't visited.
(What about Kahoolawe?)

Nick:
As you know, pictures are all well and good...but do not totally convey the experience of actually being there.

Regarding the "correct words", this free blog doesn't enable me to edit comments, just to delete or let them stand as is. Anyway, there are only three words that I noticed with extra letters.
("Preview" is your friend)

Bunny:
Indeed, I have many other goals...like visiting Antarctica for one, to complete my "set" of continents.

Cassandra:
Thanks. No need to be jealous, if memory serves, you've been to Hawaii. :-)

Shelly:
Lord willing, I'll be living in Hawaii four years from now. I just checked (at http://www.hawaiiinformation.com/Research/) and there are 25 dwellings to be had on the Big Island for $50K or less. Of course, some of those are raggedy little shacks, but others aren't bad at all...

January 26, 2012 3:51 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Looks nice, Camo! But I'm not gonna move there. LOL

January 26, 2012 11:32 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Your choice. I look forward to paying for neither heating nor cooling, myself. YMMV... ;-)

February 16, 2012 3:47 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter