.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Leap Day Tradition?


According to my sources, "Leap Day" (February 29th) is the one day of the year on which women can propose to men, based upon tradition. Since the day had no legal status, it was assumed that tradition also had no status, so women took advantage of this and proposed to the men that they wanted to marry.

The tradition is derived from an old Irish legend wherein (allegedly) in the 5th Century a nun by the name of St. Bridget petitioned St. Patrick, on behalf of all women, so that they have a more active role in choosing their husbands. As a result of this request, women were allowed to propose to men once every four years.

So, all the eligible females out there better take advantage of the opportunity; it doesn't last long and won't happen again for another four years...

10 Comments:

Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Umm, I think I will use this day to celebrate my singleness (is that a word). Instead I will go to Burger King and get one of those cheap cheeseburgers they offer on Leap Day.

I will relish in the idea nobody will tell me that burger makes me look fat--even though it might.

The weather is also messing up the concept that March will come in like a lion. If the 60's is lion-like brutish, bring it on.

February 29, 2012 10:35 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 29, 2012 1:48 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Shelly:
Singularity? Solitude? Either one works, I guess.

I've been appreciating the comparatively mild weather, myself; it sure beats having to clear snow from hundreds of feet of driveway.

Bunny:
Women proposing marriage on "Leap Day" was a new one for me...I was just reading various articles on "Leap Year" and that little "factoid" caught my eye.

March 01, 2012 1:12 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 01, 2012 2:05 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

I thought they had leap year every 4 years because it's a Presidential election year, and the candidates need that extra day of campaigning... or not. I don't know.

(:D) Best regards...

March 01, 2012 8:44 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 01, 2012 8:44 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Oh my, everyone has been deleted. Is leap day making everyone a bit, um, tacky.

March 01, 2012 10:16 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
I know that you know better...and Lord knows that there are far too many days of campaigning already.

Shelly:
All of the deleted comments were undone by their respective authors.

March 05, 2012 1:11 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

Is this like Sadie Hawkins day perhaps?

March 06, 2012 10:17 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
They are similar...and eventually became interchangeable:

Sadie Hawkins Day

March 06, 2012 10:58 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter