.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, June 23, 2006

Artistic license?

ATLANTA - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

A worrisome superbug seen in prisoners and athletes is also showing up in people who get illegal tattoos, federal health officials said Thursday.

Forty-four tattoo customers in Ohio, Kentucky and Vermont developed skin infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The infections occurred in 2004 and 2005, and were traced to 13 unlicensed tattoo artists, according to an article in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.


I've got several tattoos myself. Some say they are the desecration of my body, which can be considered a temple of God, according to certain teachings...personally, I consider it decoration instead.

Anyway, to the best of my (not inconsiderable) knowledge, all of my ink work has been applied by licensed practitioners using sanitary procedures.

When I started getting tattoos, way back in the 70's, nobody had ever heard of HIV/AIDS.

Nowadays there is some scary stuff out there that can be transmitted by a dirty needle, and it is the height of foolishness to risk infection for something which essentially constitutes a vain pursuit, as in the pursuit of vanity.

Besides the aforementioned HIV/AIDS there's hepatitis of various sorts, and now this so-called "superbug", amongst other things.

So I would hope that anyone considering getting a tattoo these days would want their tattooist to have an official license, not just the artistic variety...

10 Comments:

Blogger boberin said...

Not that I was considering it but, if drunk enough anything is possible. Thanks for the warning, I will pass it along to my daughters, the older one does have a couple small ones already so more may be forthcoming

June 23, 2006 5:05 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

And the younger one, who knows what goes through that girls mind so....better safe than sorry

June 23, 2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

It comes as no surprise that there is now a "superbug" associated with non-sterile tattooing conditions. I personally do not like tattoos, and have none myself. Having worked in the office of a doctor who, among other things, did laser surgery to remove tattoos for people who had "changed their minds," they look more like "scars" to me than anything else, but to each his own. You'll never find this woman anywhere near a tattoo parlor...it's not a "ladylike" endeavor, imnsho! :-}

June 23, 2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

I got lots of tattoos as a kid... but they always washed off after a few days. I don't see what all the fuss is about... I mean, I didn't lick those tattoo transfers or anything like that.

(:D) Regards...

June 23, 2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

There is a program on cable that shows people getting tatoos. I wouldn't want most of those tatoo-ers to eat off of my dishes let alone implant who-knows-what under my skin. As a youngster ,I did ,however use a lot those that Hawkeye speaks of.
Piercings are what really make me shiver. Ears ,fine,but lips, eyebrows,tongues ,and belly buttons ,Please, No!! I'll talk, you don't have to torture me. Well, you already knew that.

June 23, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger JR said...

So how does one become officially licensed in prison???
(Right Click here and open in New Window)
Hahahaha You get what you pay for... Would you get a tattoo from a guy working out of an alley, the trunk of his car or worse that local crack house.... Stupid is as Stupid does... Hahahaha...

June 24, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger RAM said...

One of our local tattooer's, (is that a word?), may have been guilty of giving out some of the diseases you speak of, as i noticed they closed earlier this year.

It is now home to a "palm/tarow card" reader.

Personally, I wouldn't visit either.

June 24, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

I couldn't count the number of those prison-made tattoo guns I've confiscated and/or seen. I've never seen one with an eraser as the cam, though. It's usually a small plastic disc-more durable...

June 25, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

As a kid, when I messed up, my Father would tattoo my arse. However the only thing that seemed to last was the lesson.

June 26, 2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Maggie:
Brother Dave Gardner?

No, I don't, sorry...

June 27, 2006 2:59 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter