.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Oh, thank Heaven!

More than 5,800 7-Eleven and other convenience stores are operated and franchised by 7-Eleven, Inc. in the United States and Canada.

Anyway, since today's date is 7-11, I thought I'd write about them.

From their website:
"7-Eleven pioneered the convenience store concept way back in 1927 at the Southland Ice Company in Dallas, Texas. In addition to selling blocks of ice to refrigerate food, an enterprising ice dock employee began offering milk, bread and eggs on Sundays and evenings when grocery stores were closed. This new business idea produced satisfied customers and increased sales, and convenience retailing was born!"

The name was derived from their original operating hours. I remember when they expanded those to 6 AM - 12 Midnight, I thought they should change the name.

Now they're open 24 hours a day. I used to go into a local 7-Eleven and ask what time they were open 'til; when they said 24 hours, I asked why they had locks on the doors, then.

When I was stationed in Hawaii at Schofield Barracks, it was nice to be able to run to the 7-Eleven in Wahiawa for beer on the weekends, especially when the stores on post were closed or (YIKES!!!) out of inventory.

Where I live now, there used to be an old 7-Eleven location that was bought by some folks who didn't want to pay the franchise fees anymore or something...so they changed the name to 6-Eleven. I haven't been by there in awhile, or at least I haven't paid attention when I have been, so I don't know what the situation there is nowadays. I just thought it was an amusing (true) scenario...

11 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Their quite a successful franchise. I saw some of them down south, during my recent vacation. Funny thing, though there are plenty in the city of Detroit and neighboring suburbs, there are few or none up in my neck of the woods, just an hour or so away...

July 11, 2006 6:41 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

7-11 pioneered the concept, no doubt. In another lifetime (delivering office supplies) I often used to visit the main office in Willow Grove Pa. quite often. The store in front of the offices was, as you might imagine, state of the art, always had great new things they were trying.
Then WAWA™ came along and made them look foolish at their own game. These days there is no real choice, often the stores are across the street from each other but nearly nobody chooses the 7-11. Just goes to show, you can't sit still, need to move forward in business and in life.

July 11, 2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

They always struck me as one of the priciest convienence stores. They were, however, the ONLY place in my 26 mile pipeline patrol that carried the WSJ for my lunchtime reading!

If memory serves, they were also the first place I ever saw magazines in brown wrappers. Scandalous!

July 11, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

We've got one near us, but we never go there. Pricey is right. Plus it seems to attract some unsavory clientele at night. And it's not in the greatest location. I go to other places that are a bit more "convenient".

(:D)Regards...

July 11, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

I don't patronize "convenience" stores, since the prices are always "inconvenient" for me to pay!! :-) I've seen the Southland Corporation offices in Dallas, TX, and know someone who used to work there. In "thanking Heaven" for many things, 7-11 doesn't make my list, I'm afraid!

July 11, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger JR said...

We only have one 7-11 store and it closes at 11 on weekdays... No gas pumps... We have these drive thru mini marts and the one next to the VA hospital has gas pumps... It is pretty cool just to drive in, get this or that for the ride home and then tell them put the rest of the twenty on pump number four..

July 11, 2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Camojack, I'll just bet you were one of those kids who went in Dollar Stores,and carried items up to the clerk,and asked ,"How much is this".
Maggie, with your 9-11 store ,think of the all the trouble you would have with phone calls.

July 11, 2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger benning said...

I haven't been to a 7-11 in years! Too damned expensive!

"6-11"? Oy!

July 11, 2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
They're successful in some areas, but as you say, nonexistent in others.

boberin:
7-11 pioneered the concept, but WaWa perfected it. However, WaWa is a regional company, whereas 7-Eleven is global.

MargeinMI:
Ya gotta pay for that convenience, although now a lot of supermarkets are open 24 hours, too.

Hawkeye®:
I haven't actually been to a 7-Eleven in years...like boberin, I go to WaWa.

Roberto en España:
I knew they were in Japan, so it's not surprising that they're in Thailand also.

Maggie:
Yes, 9 AM would definitely be too late to open; a good bit of their business comes from people on the way to work in the morning.

'da Bunny:
I wasn't truly thanking Heaven for 7-Eleven, that's just the marketing slogan they use, as illustrated by the picture I posted with this item.

JR:
Only one 7-Eleven and it closes at 11? Does it open at 7, I'm wondering?!

Barb:
Actually, when I was a kid, I don't recall there being any Dollar Stores.

benning:
As I said to Hawkeye® above, I haven't been to a 7-Eleven in years, either.

Kajun:
Those are some odd things to not be able to sell on Sundays.

As for your son and his family, give 'em my email @ddress, I'll buy them Philly cheesesteaks if they stop by.

Regarding the 'gators and the refugees, we have the former only in the zoo, but you'd be surprised at how many of those Nawlins refugees have relocated to this area...

July 11, 2006 8:44 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Camo, No my brother says it opens at six, but since this is central time... You can say it opens at seven, (six central time)...

July 12, 2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
So, they could call that one a 6-11, too...not adjusting for time zones.

July 13, 2006 12:12 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter