.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 04, 2006

(Rest from your) Labor Day...

Normally, without exception (at least since some time in the 90's), I have gone to O.T.R. for Labor Day Weekend.

If you click on the link, you will see that O.T.R. stands for "Old Timers Reunion", and it's a caving event.

This year however, due to having had knee surgery less than 5 months ago, I knew there'd be no caving for me this Labor Day Weekend.

I could've just gone down and hung out with my caver folk, but with all the rain in the forecast, I figured I'd skip the 700 mile round trip.

Also, I usually ride the Harley down there...and although I've got more miles riding in the rain than most people have miles riding, it's not something that I particularly enjoy, and I do avoid it if I can.

All that being said, I haven't exactly rested from my labors this weekend. I've been putting the finishing touches on an addition to "La Casa de Camo" (my rambling estate) that I have been working on for a few years now. Due to my (bad?) habit of having fun on the weekends, and the fact that I've mostly been working on the project on the weekends too, it has taken awhile.

Anyway, other than needing a coat of paint (since it's primered already), it's done:


Now I just have to move furniture into it.

BTW, I still had some fun this weekend...

9 Comments:

Blogger MargeinMI said...

As an expert on 'projects' may I be the first to say YAY on yours!

Did it come in at least 3 times over on budget and time? If so, you did good. ;>)

September 04, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Looks nice. Is it another room/rooms or an extension to an already existing room?

September 04, 2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
Thanks. I haven't a clue about budget; I didn't keep track...but I'm sure it would have cost at least three times as much if I'd paid someone else to do it. As for time, it took at least three times as I expected.
(But there were extenuating circumstances)

Beerme:
Just one big room. It used to be a screened-in patio...

September 04, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Congrats. It always feels great to finish a project, doesn't it? Getting started is the hard part for me. I've got more projects on the back burner than I care to admit. Just finished another bathroom recently. I must be blogging too much.

(:D) Regards...

September 04, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger JR said...

So I checked out the link to see what you were missing this year... So I clicked on their logo... Open their logo link in New Window I found a clue why you will miss OTR this year...

September 04, 2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Looks great, Jack. The "casa" is becoming a "castle!" :-)

Now that I'm a "renter," instead of an owner, I don't have to do any "improvement" projects. More time for the beach...which is where we went this morning!! Took the dog for the first time, and he LOVED it! At first, he was scared of the waves coming toward him, but after awhile, when he saw all the other dogs romping in the surf, he really took to it! He played hard, and then fell asleep in the Jeep on the way home, just like a little kid! We had a great time!

September 04, 2006 5:47 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
It does feel good to finish a project, definitely. I've got quite a few more in mind for here, a bathroom renovation amongst them.

onlineanalyst:
Screen out Mother Nature? Au contraire, mon cher...I've got 4 windows in the new room. The one in the picture has the worst view, it's of the deck. The rest of the views are of my wooded acreage, very nice indeed.

I remember being at Sturgis Bike Week when there were hailstorms; two different years, in fact. I was in Custer State Park one of those times, and the hail was so plentiful that the traffic running it over turned it into a sheet of ice across the whole road. That was an unpleasant experience trying to ride on, let me tell you. I rode with my feet flat on the ice, like outriggers.

JR:
I clicked that link you referred to, and saw a reference to drinking. Some of that goes on, to be sure, but my drinking is in moderation. Some of the other folks there though, they act like they're making up for lost time, or something. I don't get it.

'da Bunny:
The Castle Camo? I like the sound of that! But that will be my dwelling when I retire, methinks.

I'm glad your enjoying your new locale, though...

September 04, 2006 5:52 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Camo, I thought it was a tradition... I like a shot of jack to prevent snake bites... Thought a shot of that suff helps prevent bat bites...

September 04, 2006 6:59 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
Bat bites?! They mostly eat bugs, or fruit...the vampire bat mostly preys on livestock, and is typically found in Central and South America.

Anyway, as for the hard liquor, I generally avoid it. I like a good microbrew (or home brew) on occasion, though; I think I had one whole beer during Labor Day Weekend...

September 05, 2006 12:39 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter