.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, August 21, 2006

Bad motor scooter!!!


Here we have a radi[c]al custom motorcycle, built by Jesse James, over at West Coast Choppers.

This little beauty came to my attention in the September issue of American Motorcyclist Magazine, which is published by the American Motorcyclist Association.

It's an elegant design, built for show, basically impractical for actual use on the highways and byways.

As a co-worker of mine pointed out, the axial torque this baby developed would tend to lay it over on its side the moment you opened the throttle.

Also, the ground clearance is virtually nonexistent.

To adapt the engine for use in a motorcycle required some fairly complex modifications.

Of course, if a radial engine was mounted 90º out from the West Coast Choppers design, it would solve the torque problem:

(Although that drive belt looks dangerous)

Of course, none of those are any more insane than putting a Chevy 350 cubic inch V8 engine in a motorcycle, like the "Boss Hoss"...

14 Comments:

Blogger boberin said...

Some cool looking machines. For some reason my eye drifts towards the red one a tad more but both are beauties!

August 21, 2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
Both?! There are three of 'em; which two?

Of course I realize why your eye drifts towards the red one.

Maggie:
Ummm...could you be more specific?

August 21, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

Ah, see that, there are 3 of them. The first 2 looked similar, in my haste mistook those for 2 shots of the same machine (what do I know)
Now then, the red one is still the best looking of the bunch imho
Hee hee

August 21, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

hmmm, scrapple problem?

August 21, 2006 3:26 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Yikes! Those are mean-lookin' machines! Beautiful, but mean! Why not just strap a couple of jet engines on a set of handle bars... Ohhhh, you say they did that in Star Wars Episode 1...? Never mind.

(:D) Regards...

August 21, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I tried a post this morning, but it didn't make the cut.

I had a 1200 cc Yamaha rice rocket in the '70s, but this thing is a bloody airplane motor!

I never pulled the 400-horsepower 350 out of my plastic car, either. Dropping the roof and going pedal to the metal at 130 with four wheels down was quite satisfactory.

I took the Yamaha to 120 on the interstate one fine day. Divorces make you do funny, stupid things.

August 21, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Great a motor cycle for the Tin Man... Only if, Jesse could find a brain... At least Boss Hog made a bike for Dorothy....

August 21, 2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger KWL said...

Holy Freak'n Cow!!!
I mean...C'mon now..


I am speechless....

August 21, 2006 11:03 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
The first two do look quite similar, yes. The third, not so much.

Hawkeye®:
They are beautiful, aren't they?

FYI, the jet engine motorcycle has been done already, too...lots of them, really.

The trotting Possum:
A bloody airplane motor, it is.

But when you think about it, the 45º V-Twin engine in my Harley is ¼ of an 8 cylinder radial engine.

JR:
Those radials would make great motorcycles for the Tin Man.

The gal on the Boss Hoss could make a passable Dorothy, too, couldn't she?

kwl:
Yeah, what you said...

August 22, 2006 12:42 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

What, is everyone waiting for me to say "eleventeen"?!

Well now I have...

August 23, 2006 7:08 AM  
Blogger Island Girl TLA said...

You can keep the photos of George however, I like the first bike. I Like that brushed metal look.

The red bike....come'on whatsogoodaboutthat?

August 23, 2006 7:21 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Island Girl TLA:
I posted the picture of the red bike as an example of another ridiculously large engine in a motorcycle, having a V-8, as it does.
(I think boberin likes the girl)

For my money, the six cylinder engine in a Honda Goldwing is overkill; my full-sized van only has a six cylinder engine...for a motorcycle, two cylinders is plenty good enough.

August 23, 2006 8:05 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Jeezz! LOL What a lot of strange bikes!

The only bike I ever had was a 90cc trail bike! Kinda tiny compared to these monsters. ;)

August 23, 2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Yeah, pretty wild...and mostly impractical.

I think a scaled-down radial engine (mounted longitudinally) might work out rather well, though...

August 23, 2006 10:09 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter