.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, July 31, 2006

More pow[d]er to him!


At Mt. Hood, Oregon on July 27, a fellow by the name of Rainer Hertrich became the first person to have skied every day for 1,000 consecutive days...and he rode a motorcycle to a lot of the places he went to ski.

He rides a BMW; have skis, will travel.
(See picture, above)

Anyway, he started this "serial skiing" in November of 2003 at Copper Mountain in Colorado, where he works as a trail groomer during the regular ski season there.

This guy is the definitive ski bum. He's going to be listed in Guinness World Records for his achievement.

He has no plans to stop just yet. He intends to fly down to Chile right after Labor Day, ski there for about six weeks, then return to Colorado.

I've personally skied in Colorado one fine June, at A-Basin, and it was 32º at the top of the chairlift that day. Most of the other ski areas are closed then, however, even though there's generally still plenty of skiable terrain available. The demand is just insufficient to make it feasible to run the lifts, but then, there's backcountry (cross country) skiing.

Read more here:
Hertrich skis 1,000th day in a row
(By Devon O'Neil, Summit Daily News)

14 Comments:

Blogger boberin said...

What a guy! Once again, color me jealous. Boggles the mind how folks can afford such things. Good for him!

July 31, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger FrankenLooper said...

How to afford such things: Don't have much, don't want much, don't need much.

I multi-day packpack almost every week. This afternoon I'm leaving for 3 days. Next week doing 6. The next week taking a bus to Maine to hike South awhile.

Learn to enjoy being poor and you can do almost anything.

It also helps, in my case, to have had two strokes and be disabled. I'm stupid but happy. :-)

July 31, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

Well, I'm pretty stupid and pretty happy, think I'll skip the strokes for as long as possible though, soon enough....

July 31, 2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Ah, the life of the ski bum. I guess I'll have to wait for the family to get on their own feet before I retire to do such things. I don't want/need much so that qualification is met. Now I just need to work on the responsibility aspect...

July 31, 2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

How can one even THINK about being a ski bum when there are BLOGS to be written? OK... So maybe I'm the odd man out, eh? I don't ski very well anyway... But I CRASH just fine!

(:D) Regards...

July 31, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
I believe he can afford it because a lot of the places where he skis have snow...but no lifts, therefore no lift ticket.

Nightwalker:
Ah, yes, the key to happiness; being satisfied with what one has. In this guy's case, a pair of skis and a (relatively) inexpensive way to get to where there's snow.

BTW, enjoy your hike! Keep us posted.

Beerme:
Yes, he's apparently found something that he really likes to do, and does it.

Hawkeye®:
Actually, I haven't gone skiing since February 9th, the day I completely tore the ACL in my left knee upon landing after getting some air off of a mogul. I had knee surgery in mid-April, and am only just now getting back "up to speed". I've been riding my bicycle (well, my Harley too), and will be doing a little trip on the C&O later this month...

July 31, 2006 7:29 PM  
Blogger JR said...

He should get the "The only person in the world to walk uphill in the snow to recover a BMW motorcycle and not get paid to do it Award"...

August 01, 2006 12:11 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
I've got an even better idea!!!

August 01, 2006 12:26 AM  
Blogger JR said...

The more buddies that ride and chip in for gas the better...

August 01, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
The more the merrier, 'tis said!

August 01, 2006 1:38 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Looks like he's getting on that bike backwards. Does he ski backwards too?

As to being poor and happy (not necessarily happy to be poor), count me in!

August 01, 2006 7:16 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
You're quite right; it does look like he's getting on the bike backwards. As for whether or not he skis that way, I don't know, but I've been known to...all the way from the top.

August 01, 2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

I've never skied Colorado, but Taos New Mexico is a little slice of heaven on earth. If you ever get the chance, stay at the Hotel St. Bernard - the food is outstanding. Maybe we'll get to go back this winter. But I'll have to get in better shape this year - those mountains are murder on your legs.

August 02, 2006 7:24 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Cassandra:
My mother and her husband went to New Mexico for her birthday in April. They live in Colorado, so I've gone skiing there a lot...the thing that gives my thighs that burn is the altitude, methinks. And speaking of altitude, did you check out my even better idea!!!" link from a prior comment? That's where I'll be this Winter...

August 02, 2006 9:29 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter