.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 10, 2006

November 11th...Veterans Day

Even though I am a veteran, I usually don't get the day off...except for years like this, when it falls on the weekend.

In any case, my time in service is as nothing compared to those who gave all.

From the Wikipedia article on Veterans Day:

Veterans Day is the American name for the international day called Armistice Day. It falls on November 11, the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War One. It is both a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states. The same day is observed elsewhere as Remembrance Day or Armistice Day. All major hostilities of World War 1 were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice. Armistice Day was first commemorated in the United States by President Woodrow Wilson in 1919, and many states made it a legal holiday. Congress passed a resolution in 1926 inviting all Americans to observe the day, and made it a legal holiday nationwide in 1938. The holiday has been observed annually on November 11 since that date - first as Armistice Day, later as Veterans Day - except for a brief period when it was celebrated on the fourth Monday of October.

The day has since evolved as a time for honoring living veterans who have served in the military during wartime or peacetime, partially to complement Memorial Day, which primarily honors the dead. There has been some discussion of whether a person's veteran status depends upon his/her retirement or discharge from any of the armed forces. However, the term applies to any that have honorably served their country or that have served in a war zone as directed by their superior officers or as directed by lawful orders given by their country.


"It is the Veteran, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Veteran, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Veteran, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Veteran, not the campus
organizer, who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the Veteran, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Veteran, not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Veteran,
who salutes the Flag,

Eternal rest grant them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them."

That's all I have to say about that...

17 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your service to this country, my friend?

Thanks!

November 10, 2006 5:22 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

God Bless them all!

And my thanks to you too, Jack!

November 10, 2006 8:23 AM  
Blogger DreamingLady said...

Ya, forget you are a veteran! Thanks for serving the country and fight for the peace.

November 10, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Army R Good

November 10, 2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
You may, but like I said, "my time in service is as nothing compared to those who gave all"...in fact, I gained much from the experience.

MargeinMI:
God bless them all, indeed.

As for myself, see above.

DreamingLady:
A veteran I am, my dear. But (again) see above.

You guys are gonna make me blush, or somethin'.

JR:
All branches "R"...
:-)

November 10, 2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

Nice post, camo. And thanks for your service.

November 10, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger FrankenLooper said...

From one swabbie to another: "You call that clean? Drop and give me 20."

Heheheh. Happy us day, Camo.

November 10, 2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Cassandra:
I'm glad you approve...truly.

Nightwalker:
Happy us day, yes. :-)

rusty:
I agree, totally; that's why I made it a point to highlight those who gave all.

November 10, 2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

All of you Veterans are "Yankee Doodle Dandies" in my book ..of songs.God Bless all of you and God Bless all our Military Personel who are still in harms way. May they all come marching home.

November 10, 2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Barb:
Would that the ones who are still in harm's way could all come marching home.

And a special eleventeen in remembrance of November 11th...

November 10, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Thanks for your service Camo, and God Bless Vets everywhere...

Regards

November 10, 2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger benning said...

Well said, Camo! My thanks to you and all those who have served this nation in the Armed Forces! God Bless you all!

November 10, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

anonymous:
I listened; thanks for sharing...and welcome to my li'l corner o' "da blogosphere".

Hawkeye®:
Thank you for yours, and ditto on the blessings for veterans everywhere.

benning:
Thanks. Most of the words weren't my own, but very true, nevertheless...

November 11, 2006 12:51 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Happy Veteran's Day to all veterans...AND THAT INCLUDES YOU, JACK! Have a great day, my friend!!

November 11, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

'da Bunny:
Today's the day.

I'm not sure if it was precisely 11 AM, but the group I was with definitely remembered...

November 11, 2006 2:21 PM  
Blogger mig said...

Thanks Jack.

Blake participated in the Massing of the Colors by opening up the ceremony with the Pledge.

Surrounded by so many great men and women, I was filled with pride and awe.

I am so grateful!Today and everyday.

November 11, 2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

mig:
Thank you. I think it's great that you're instilling those values in your children; there's not enough of that in this country nowadays.

November 11, 2006 10:27 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter