.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Madam, I'm Adam.


I've always been fascinated by words, and especially the many different and clever uses for them.

I recently got to thinking about the palindrome.
(The post title is one)

What set this particular train of thought into motion was seeing a new one in a magazine article I was reading.

Along with the one in the title, some common ones are:

"A man, a plan, a canal; Panama."

and

"Able was I, ere I saw Elba."

They all have to read the same backwards as forwards.
(In case you didn't click on the palindrome link)

I remember when I was growing up in Philly, someone once told me that a nearby street (Camac) was the only one in the city that was the same both ways. Being something of a skeptic even in my youth, I looked into the matter and found a couple more.
(Radar and Reger)

While surfing "Da 'Net" to do this post, I found an interesting website that lists plenty of them here...so apparently I am not alone in my fascination with them.

Anyway, the one that I saw in the magazine was:

"Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog."

Big deal, right? I know, I'm weird...

12 Comments:

Blogger boberin said...

I was given "Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader" for Christmas and it has many fascinating tidbits to while away the time while...well, you know.
In any case, it was just a day or 2 back that I read the palindrome page of that book, it has dozens. Most are quite silly but fun.
And...yep, you are indeed weird but then I'm a fair bit weirder so there will be no stones being cast from this direction!

March 29, 2008 9:12 AM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

It is hard enough for me to figure out how I got here, where ever here is, let alone figure out everything in reverse. Dyslectics would have fun spending countless hours with you.

But some people are amused in the strangest ways. :-)

March 29, 2008 9:47 AM  
Blogger KA said...

i've got a bizarre affinity for certain letters.

Strangeness is not a bad thing.

March 29, 2008 9:58 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

wow

(that's the longest one I could come up with - it's early)

March 29, 2008 10:07 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

There's always Hillary's fave:
"Evil I live"!

March 29, 2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Yes, you're weird, but in a good way. We think.

I like Beerme's palindrome. Excellent!

March 29, 2008 1:21 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

You put the fun in dysfunctional :p

March 29, 2008 4:32 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I don't understand why they didn't call them "palinnilap"or
"dromeemord". They Otto.

March 29, 2008 6:16 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
"Uncle John's Bathroom Reader", eh?

Interesting coincidence that you were just looking at palindromes a couple of days ago.

Ms RightWing:
Dyslexics untie!

Yes, I'm easily amused sometimes.

Tin Ma'am:
For which letters have you got this "bizarre affinity"?

I kinda like Ñ. :-)

Rick:
Aha. (That'll work!)

Beerme:
"Live evil" works, too.

benning:
Weird in a good way? I can live with that.

Yay!

Cassandra:
Well, if one is to be dysfunctional, it may as well be fun.

Barb:
They Otto, in...deed. :-D

March 29, 2008 7:18 PM  
Blogger mig said...

heh heh

Dont cha jus luv wurds!

March 29, 2008 8:14 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

mig:
I do "luv wurds"...in many languages.

Here's another coincidence; last night I read through the April 2008 issue of Smithsonian magazine, and the article on the last page also mentioned palindromes.

Speaking of words, here's my favorite: Eleventeen!!!

March 30, 2008 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's an otto,
that's not an auto?
angus

March 30, 2008 7:04 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter