.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 07, 2007

Wanderlust...

wan·der·lust (noun): A very strong or irresistible impulse to travel.

This condition is definitely one with which I've been living for quite some time. But I have also acted upon it for a long time; for example, take my recent excursion to one of the "ends of the Earth" (Antarctica) to research the effects of Climate Change™:

(Just kidding; I took that at SeaWorld)

For Thanksgiving Week I went to Southern California, La Jolla to be precise. Across the street from where I stayed there was an apparently popular surfing spot:


This plaque was about two blocks to the East of the condo where I was staying:


Also, the historic San Luis Rey Mission was a few miles up the coast:


Here's part of the original structure:


I took quite a few more pictures on that trip, some of which I'll share in a future post.

Last weekend I went to visit a friend who is in the MBA program at Yale. After touring the campus, we both got a guided tour of Yale's Peabody Museum...from one of the members of its Board of Directors. I thought that was kind of nice; even though I serve on several Boards myself, none of them are quite so prestigious as that.


There's a really nice (award-winning, even) panoramic painting in the background of this photo, taken in the "Great Hall":


They just don't build like this anymore:


Next destination, Colorado...

12 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I'll bet that the weather was a bit warmer in San Diego than back east!

December 07, 2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Nice pics!
Hey, for a second there I thought maybe you had been a part of that eco-cruise ship disaster...you know, at Sea World...

Traveling is fun!

December 07, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger bobinspain said...

I got one of those Yale campus tours once myself.

They have a rare book museum. When the fire alarm goes off, after some time (30 seconds?) they start pumping in nitrogen, to suffocate any fire. So, when you hear the alarm - get out! Well, that would be the idea even w/o the nitrogen. ;-)

I did not see it myself, but, supposedly, some of the walls are made of a stone that is a little bit translucent, so at night the lights inside make the walls glow a little bit - supposed to be cool.

I have heard the name of the Peabody museum but don't know what it is about. Maybe I'll check that URL on the sign. Maybe there is a boy named Sherman... and a wayback machine. Ha!

December 07, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Very funny about "researching the effects of Climate Change in Antarctica," Jack!! I recognized those Sea World penguins, ya' know!
;-)

SoCal hasn't been the same since the "camo-man" left...

December 07, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Marsha said...

Hey Jack! Nice photos - you're keeping busy! I was in LaJolla / San Diego several years ago-loved it. See you in January!

December 07, 2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

La Jolla is nice - stayed there years ago in a little bed and breakfast.

December 07, 2007 3:04 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Jenn:
The weather was quite a bit warmer than back East, to be sure.

Beerme:
Funny thing about that eco-cruise ship disaster...they ran into an iceberg that wasn't supposed to be there, since they're all melted and whatnot.
(Mostly not)

bob:
Peabody & Sherman. I get it. :-)

Bunny:
I figured you might recognize the SeaWorld penguins.
(Heh, heh)

Marsha:
The photos would've been nicer if I hadn't left the camera in the closeup setting, but oh well, what's done is done. Anyway, I generally keep busy.

Yes, see you in January.

Cassandra:
La Jolla is nice, indeed...

December 07, 2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Wow! From La Jolla to Yale in no time flat! What do you use, a Star Trek transporter?? Now that would be cool, eh? I'm sure you would be one of the first to try it out.

(:D) Best regards...

December 07, 2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

All abord! If it were I, there would be an Amtrac in the picture. I love the rails. La Jolla too.

And, aw gee, you also

December 08, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
From La Jolla to Yale in no time flat? Only on "Da 'Net"; in the "meat world" there were 6 days in between.

As for using a "Star Trek" transporter, I'd try it after the technology was proven.

Ms RightWing:
The rails might be experiencing a resurgence in popularity relatively soon, if they get a network of really fast ones up and running. There is serious talk of such things currently going on.

La Jolla is nice, but a bit too pricey for my tastes.

Regarding the love, I certainly appreciate it. Of course, if you're not already aware of it, you are beloved of many your ownself...

December 11, 2007 6:49 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Looks like you had a fun time! The Yale tour sounds very hoity-toity! You must've looked important.

Great pics!

December 13, 2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Having a fun time is my raison d’être.

As for looking important? No way.
(Nice of you to say so, though...)

December 13, 2007 8:42 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter