.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

If Man was meant to fly...

...he'd have rotors!!!

I did get extensive helicopter flying lessons (all "off the books") when I was in the military, at which time I was a crewchief on a UH-1, popularly known as a "Huey":


For a long time (decades!) I have wanted a helicopter of my very own.

There've been a couple of problems with that:

1. Finances.
2. A place to keep it.

The first problem has mostly been because I've spent large portions of my "disposable" income on motorcycle and boat stuff; a used, flying "kit" helicopter can be had relatively inexpensively.

The second problem is due to the fact that I'd want to keep it at my home, and although I do have enough room to land one at "La Casa de Camo" (my rambling estate) if I cleared out some trees, I'm fairly certain that my local "powers that be" would not approve of the idea. Once I retire, it might be a different story, and I'm hoping that it is. So far as I know, there's nothing in the covenants and restrictions (for the subdivision where my retirement acreage is) that says I can't.

The one that I was most interested in, for the longest time, is the Rotorway Exec:


The brand new kit was about $70K, and I'd have to build it myself. The building part shouldn't prove to be too difficult, since I build aircraft for a living. But since it's possible to buy one for much less that's already built, with relatively few hours on the airframe, that would seem to be the logical approach.

Anyway, a used Exec is all you can get now, since RotorWay’s got a new helicopter which debuted in July at AirVenture 2007.

It's called the A600 Talon:


Another nifty li'l "chopper" is the Mosquito Ultralight Helicopter, and since it's an ultralight, you don't even need a license to fly one:


Of course, it's only a one-seater, and I want to be able to carry a passenger.

Last (but not least) is the AirScooter, which is also a one-seater:


However, soon they'll be coming out with a version that can carry two people.

You ride it like a motorcycle...

12 Comments:

Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

I love the skeeter. I wonder how long it would take to get to ScrapplefaceFest with one of those little "buggers."

I often thought of getting an ultralight back in the day. So cool to fly above the rooftops and they are so much safer than the early protypes.

sigh, someday

September 05, 2007 8:52 AM  
Blogger bobinspain said...

If ya wanna build a helipad, ya gotta get elected to township council first....

September 05, 2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger bobinspain said...

If I still lived nearby, I'd vote for you.

September 05, 2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger Conserve-a-tip said...

The son used to run out into the front yard anytime he heard a helicopter, at the ripe age of 2, and would exclaim, "Hairplane! Hairplane!" I suppose that would be a combination of helicopter and airplane. He's been fascinated with them ever since. What's wrong with you guys??? These feet were made for walking.....

Conserve-a-tips

September 05, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Oh! Poncho?

September 05, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Helichopters look interesting, but they scare the bejeebers outa me.

I always wanted to learn to fly, then buy - or build - a vintage WWI biplane, and strafe I-95 with ping-pong balls. Yeah, I'm a mite twisted!

September 05, 2007 11:20 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

You ride it like a motorcycle? Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous going through the Kittatinny Tunnel?

(:D) Best regards...

September 05, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Erudite Aspie said...

Well, as my dearly departed father used to say to my sainted mother, you have to pick your pleasures...because ya ain't rich enough to do it all.

:)

September 05, 2007 6:19 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

You could do like the guy with the lawnchair and the balloons. and for the "skeeter",you could let passengers stand on the "running boards".
Hey , you inventors,how about a wheel chair with retractable rotors. Ms RW would be good to go.

September 05, 2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ooops...that was me...my computer still had my daughter signed on

September 05, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

It looks like the scooter could land and takeoff on water, what with the pontoons and all...Cool!

September 05, 2007 7:25 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Ms RightWing:
I like the "Scooter", 'cause you control it like a motorcycle.

bob:
I appreciate the thought, and have considered running for public office, but I'll just wait a few more years until I retire.

Whiteacres:
Feet were made for walking, 'tis true, and that's what they do sometimes. However, we're not comprised solely (Heh!) of feet.

Maggie:
Ummm...oh Cisco?

benning:
Helichopters, huh? Hee, hee.

As for strafing with ping-pong balls, I like it! But then, I'm a "mite twisted", too.

Hawkeye®:
I think riding it through the Kittatinny (or any!) tunnel would be a bit dangerous, yes.

Elizabeth:
True, but we can always dream, ne c'est pas?

Barb:
The guy with the lawnchair and the balloons? He had no control of his flight.

As for letting passengers stand on the "running boards" of the "skeeter", you'd have to have one on either side for balance, and it probably wouldn't be able to lift that many.

Jenn:
What was you, Elizabeth? I was wondering who that was.

Beerme:
It looks like a very versatile conveyance, indeed...

September 05, 2007 7:30 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter