.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Flyin' HI...

"HI" being the postal abbreviation for Hawaii. Well, not flyin' all that high; only enough for a decent View From Above.*

I've had a number of requests for pictures, so I'm posting a few.

Many more pictures, taken on the ground, can be found HERE.

Here we have a view into the "belly of the beast":


Look closely in the caldera; you can see glowing lava.

A study in contrasts:


The desert of the Ka'u (South) District meets the rain forest of the Puna (spring) District. The island of Hawaii, commonly referred to as the "Big Island", is roughly the size of Connecticut...and all one county, with 9 Districts.

This is Waipio Valley:


Formerly favored by the Ali'i (Hawaiian nobility), but it got wiped out periodically by tsunamis. Currently inhabited by an eclectic group of farmers and recluses, easily accessible to 4WD vehicles. There's a mile-long black sand beach.

Further along the Hamakua Coast:


Towering cliffs and waterfalls. The only way to see them is by air or on a boat. There are a few hiking trails, but sometimes people go in and are never heard from again. I intend to go check it out for myself someday.
(Surprised?)

This is "Tourist Central" on the Big Island:


Commonly referred to as simply Kona, it's the "happening" place for "tourons".
(Note huge cruise ship)

Also, for most of your retail needs; other spots on the island have varying availability of basic, typical goods and services.

One layer at a time:


The whole island was built up of innumerable individual lava flows, which continue to this very day...

*My "cyber-bud" Hawkeye's blog

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KEWL!

Is that a helicopter or an airplane that you're up, up, and away in?

I was in a helicopter for the first time in April, in Sedona. Made me want to get my own, I liked it so much...then I found out how much they cost! :>(

May 06, 2007 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. I have never been on a helicopter/airplane tour. Although, just flying from Hilo to Honolulu in a commercial jet provides great views.

May 06, 2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Thanks for the plug Camo... Now how much did I owe you???

(:D) Best regards...

May 06, 2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Hawaii is really something special, isn't it?

May 06, 2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

JannyMae:
That was in an airplane.

I'd like to get my own helicopter someday, too, when I have more room to land...and more $$$ to buy one.

Grant Jones:
Those inter-island flights don't go all that much higher, especially at either end of the trip.

Hawkeye®:
Nuttin', honey! This one's "on the house".

Beerme:
It really is, yes...

May 06, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Awesome pictures.

May 07, 2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

Awsome indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Jealous as always but better to live vicariously then not at all!

May 07, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Maggie:
I'm glad you liked them. Did you click on the link? Three dozen more pictures there.

boberin:
Better to live vicariously, true...

May 07, 2007 8:55 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

We wanted to take the helicopted tour when we were in Kauai but ended up taking a river tour instead. It was great, but next time I'd really like to get up in the air. Thanks.

May 11, 2007 5:55 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Cassandra:
I have sort of taken several helicopter "tours" in Hawaii...when I was stationed there. That was how I saw all those awesome waterfalls on the Hamakua Coast for the first time, in fact.

Whilst on my vacations over there since then, however, I have thus far opted for the fixed wing airplanes; they charge a lot less...

May 11, 2007 8:56 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter