.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, February 02, 2007

Off to paradise...

Handy reference map:

The Waipio Valley, central Northern coast; a highly sought after location at one time, but when the tsunamis come (almost always from the North) it gets wiped out:
There's a mile-long black sand beach, and gorgeous scenery in which to hike.
(There's a green sand beach on the other end of the island)

This is a picture of me in the second most extensive lava tube type cave system (the most extensive is Kazumura Cave) on the planet:
It's called the Kipuka Kanohina System; at last count there were 20+ miles of interconnected passages...and I own a parcel with a couple of entrances thereto.

Facing inland (the Hawaiian word is "mauka", which means toward the mountain; the other way is "makai" or toward the sea) from the black sand beach in the Waipio Valley you can see a waterfall with a 1600' drop:
I've hiked all over this valley, above and below.

This is a view from a beach in Kona, on the West coast:
If there's a clear view to the horizon at sunset (it's often obscured by clouds) you can see the "green flash", which I've only witnessed once.

I spend most of my time in and around Ocean View, which is nearly as South as you can get in these United States.

Hold my calls. And my emails...

18 Comments:

Blogger MargeinMI said...

They're predicting -2 this weekend here. I think I'll snuggle down and look at my pics from Down Under and try to go to that happy place. sigh. See ya in the tropics, Jack! Have a GREAT time!

February 02, 2007 8:16 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Have great time, Jack!
More pics when you get back!

February 02, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Rub it in, my friend...rub it in. [nudge, nudge...wink, wink]

Wishes for safe travels and wonderful times are being sent your way...as always.

:-)

February 02, 2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Enjoy Yourself... I see a Pro Bowl in your future... hehehe...

February 02, 2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

There you go again with the education! I had never heard of, let alone seen, a "green flash" before and now I've done both.

Good stuff as always! Have a great trip, a great time!
Be safe!

February 02, 2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger benning said...

Ahhhh, enjoy, Camo, enjoy! Brings us back some pictures. :D

February 02, 2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

What is the Hawaiian word for Groundhog?Do they celebrate Groundhog Day in Hawaii? I mean, how would they get 6 more weeks of winter?Anyway Happy Groundhog Day ,and Bon Voyage!!

February 02, 2007 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome aboard...!

February 02, 2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Have a good time Jack. I hope to get there this coming May. Celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.

(:D) Regards...

February 03, 2007 12:25 AM  
Blogger Pat's Rick© said...

Another drive by. Looks like fun.

February 03, 2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
I've gotten a number of reports about low temperatures on the Mainland; this is one (of many) good reasons I come here in the Winter.

Maggie:
Mahalo!!!!
(Thanks)

Bob_inSpain:
It does sounds like a superhero, huh?

Beerme:
I shall try to remember to take some pictures.

'da Bunny:
Rub it in? Never; I'm trying to get folks to visit.

JR:
I probably won't go to the Pro Bowl, after all. The best deal I could find for airfare from the Big Island to Oahu is about $90, and that involves driving all the way over to Hilo.

boberin:
Learning is good.

benning:
I definitely intend to enjoy myself, thanks.

Barb:
I don't know that there is a Hawaiian word for Groundhog, but Winter is only a word over here.

Grant Jones:
Mahalo, malahini! I'll be calling you one o' these days.

Hawkeye®:
If you get here, avoid Oahu, except maybe the North Shore and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Pat'sRick©:
Fun is the "object of the exercise", thanks...

February 04, 2007 3:45 AM  
Blogger Pat's Rick© said...

Looks beautiful. Have fun.

February 09, 2007 10:20 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

When ya comin back Jack? Missin' ya!

February 23, 2007 5:32 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

onlineanalyst:
Enjoying it I am, thanks.

Pat'sRick©:
It is beautiful, indeed.

MargeinMI:
I'll be back on March 4th...

February 24, 2007 11:29 PM  
Blogger benning said...

Welcome back! Nice to see you didn't get swallowed by a lava flow. :D

March 06, 2007 7:21 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Thanks. I flew over some hot lava flows, but didn't get very close, really. Also, I hiked over several lava flows, but they were some of the long since cooled off variety...

March 07, 2007 12:17 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

NEW POST!
NEW POST!
WE WANTEM NEW POST!

March 24, 2007 8:36 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
I hear ya...but I'm not happy with the new format here, and to post anything new I must convert. I've been looking into alternate blog hosting sites.

Stay tuned...

March 25, 2007 1:20 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter