.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cosmic!!!

The brightest comet in decades is unexpectedly now visible. The most optimistic predictions have Comet McNaught (C/2006 P1) shortly becoming one of the brightest comets of the past century. For the next few days, its short tail and bright coma can be spotted with the unaided eye close to the Sun and near the horizon in both evening and morning skies.

This dramatic picture of the comet shining through cloudy skies was taken near sunset on January 7 from Bad Mergentheim, Germany:


R. H. McNaught (Siding Spring Observatory, Australia) discovered the comet on August 7, 2006.

Michael Jäger and Gerald Rhemann obtained this image of Comet McNaught on January 5, 2007:


I'm hoping to see it for myself, soon...

10 Comments:

Blogger MargeinMI said...

Very cool! I'll look for it too. I'm always up for the dawn and have a pretty unobstructed view of the eastern horizon.

January 10, 2007 5:32 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
I'm wishing I could remember where my binoculars are...maybe they're on the boat.

Anyway, viewing instructions can be found HERE...

January 10, 2007 7:07 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Thanks...
I bookmarked "Astronomy Picture of the Day" to my favs...

January 10, 2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Well, I couldn't find my binocs out in das boot, but the Eastern horizon hereabouts was obscured by clouds anyway. I'll try again after sunset to the West...where there's a wider vista from "La Casa de Camo".
(My rambling estate)

JR:
You're quite welcome; it is a pretty cool website, IM[NS]HO...

January 10, 2007 9:15 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

When does it hit Earth?

January 10, 2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

KJ:
In the year 2525... :-)

January 10, 2007 6:09 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Cool!! And, I KNOW where my binoculars are!! :-)

January 10, 2007 7:49 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

'da Bunny:
I tried after sunset, but the view was obscured by clouds again.
(Had binocs, tho'...)

January 11, 2007 12:32 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Kajun:
Those Ford Falcons were pretty durable cars.

Comet, of course, is also a cleaning product...

January 16, 2007 12:46 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

ELEVENTEEN!!!

January 16, 2007 12:47 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter