.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, January 07, 2007

South of the border...

...between North and South Carolina, that is.


Since the early 1950's, "South of the Border" has been a popular stopping place on the way to Florida, a veritable monument to the concept of tacky.

There are billboards advertising it for hundreds of miles, in both directions.

I went right past it recently, in both directions...but as it just so happens, I did stop for gas on the Southbound leg of my journey at the same exit.

That's not to say that I've never stopped; being a mere mortal, I am as morbidly curious about unique phenomena as the next person. Probably more so, in fact, but I was intent on covering ground this time.

One thing they sell a lot of there is fireworks, although what with some States becoming a bit less restrictive about such things, I'm sure that aspect of their business has declined somewhat.

Also, as a halfway point between the Northeast and Florida, I'm certain that a lot of people avail themselves of the campground and motel there.

The last time I remember stopping was for breakfast at one of the restaurants they have there.

You can read more about it here...

6 Comments:

Blogger MargeinMI said...

Ah, America does tacky better than anyone!!

Looks like the kind of place the kids would wipe out your wallet in a hurry and load the car with a ton of worthless junk. Ugh.

January 07, 2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

And when did the border of Mexico move to between North and South Carolina? Musta missed that headline.

January 07, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Who knew Pedroland was really in the Carolinas…

January 07, 2007 9:58 AM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Something weird has taken place. I actually logged into both yours and possums today. Maybe I awoke South of the Border.

I too have passed the place mucho grande times, but only stopped in once for a cold beverage and sadly had not the time to enter into the hallowed gates of junkery

January 07, 2007 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taco Bell on steroids?

January 07, 2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

MargeinMI:
America does do tacky better than anyone, I concur.

Apparently the border of Mexico "moved there" in 1951.

JR:
Anyone who's driven by in the last 56 years knew it, I guess.

Ms. RightWing, Ink:
Well, I'm glad to "see" you, as always.

Junkery is a good word for it.
(Whether it's a word or not)

Grant Jones:
It predates Taco Bell, por mucho...

January 07, 2007 4:25 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter