.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

Inherit the wind...etc.


The windmill in the picture above is a Skystream 3.7, which was awarded a "Best of What's New" by Popular Science in the Home Category.

Some specifications from their website:
Product Brochure: Skystream 3.7 brochure (PDF)
Technical Specifications: Skystream 3.7 Spec Sheet (PDF)
Installation & Operation: Owner's Manual (PDF)
Foundation Manual (PDF) - Tower Manual (PDF)
Certification: UL (US & Canada)
Interconnection: Guidelines & sample interconnection agreement
Rated Capacity: 1.8 KW
Rotor: 12 feet / 3.72 meters; 50–325 RPM
Alternator: Gearless, permanent magnet brushless
Voltage Output: 240 VAC (Optional 208 VAC)
Estimated Energy Production: 400 KWh per month at 12 MPH (5.4 m/s)
Weight: 154 pounds
Tower: Towers from 35-110 feet are available; height is dependent by site
Warranty: Five year limited
Availability: October 2006
Skystream is initially available primarily for North American grid configuration (220V/60HZ). Additional international configurations (50HZ) will be available in late 2006, along with marine and battery charging versions.

An array of solar panels can also be seen in the picture; when I retire, I'm planning to use both forms of "alternative" energy, although that might not be for another 10 years. I'm sure the "state of the art" will be vastly improved by then.

Here's a wind farm I've been to in Hawaii:

(Kamaoa Wind Farm at South Point on the Big Island)

It had fallen into disrepair, but I was reading fairly recently about plans to refurbish it.

The less fossil fuels we use, the better...

7 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Absolutely! I can't wait until the day the wacky petro-terrorists wake up and find they've got all that greasy black juice, but no one to buy it from them...

It will come, just not soon enough. Kinda like that retirement, eh?

December 04, 2006 5:21 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Hey! I could put one on top of my silo. How long does it take for the thing to pay for itself? I really do need an alternate source of energy out here in the sticks. I lose power pretty often, although usually not for long. :o)

And yes! Less dependence of fossil fuels, and more development of our own untapped resources.

December 04, 2006 7:04 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
I'd love to see the day when we're completely free of any dependence on foreign oil...or any at all, come to think of it.

As for retirement, I hope I'm around long enough to get there.
(One never knows)

MargeinMI:
How long it takes to pay for itself depends entirely upon how much wind you get in your area.

My neighbors have a backup generator system, because we lose power hereabouts fairly frequently too.
(But like you, not for long)

Maggie:
I'm glad I'll never experience those "hot flashes".

For RAM's email @ddress, email me.
(I'm sure he wouldn't mind...)

December 04, 2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Camo,
Yeah, I'd like to do the energy-saving stuff during retirement too. It makes good economical and ecological sense.

Maggie,
I sent you RAM's e-mail address via e-mail. My wife is going through those hot flashes too... My condolences.

December 04, 2006 7:32 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
Economical and ecological sense.

Precisely...

December 05, 2006 6:47 AM  
Blogger JR said...

If you are going to do it, do it right... You need two, one to power the house and the other one to sell power back to the electric company...

December 05, 2006 11:47 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
I'm definitely planning to generate enough surplus to sell power back to the electric company, between the solar and wind devices I intend to get...

December 05, 2006 3:19 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter