.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 17, 2006

South of the border...

...is where I'll be for Thanksgiving.
(Maybe they'll have turkey there?)

I'm going to the Yucatan Peninsula to be precise, in order to indulge in the pursuit of a number of scientific disciplines: anthropology, archaeology, speleology, etc.
(And to hang out on the beach in Cancun)

I plan to visit the ancient Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza (pictured below) and Tulum...which covers the archaeology and the anthropology. Of course, anywhere there are people one can study anthropology "on the hoof".


As for the speleology, that is more my area of expertise; I've been underground all over the U.S., and in other countries as well. I'm rather looking forward to doing some cave snorkeling, as in the cenote pictured here:


There are a number of those in the immediate vicinity of Chichen Itza, as well. In fact, the Yucatan Peninsula has a significant amount of caverniferous geology all over the place.

I'm also hoping to assist in surveying some dry caves in the Mexican State of Quintana Roo, which are South of Cancun, near Tulum.

¡Adios, amigos!

9 Comments:

Blogger RAM said...

Camo said: "South of the border...

...is where I'll be for Thanksgiving.
(Maybe they'll have turkey there?)"

There will be at least ONE there! lol, sorry!

Just kidding, I wish it was me on the beach, and you could call me a turkey!

Have a good time!

November 17, 2006 4:26 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

It's about time you went somewhere, Jack. I was getting bored. Be safe and have a great time! We want pictures!!

....living vicariously through you....

November 17, 2006 8:39 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

RAM:
Maybe I'll be able to get a turkey burrito or somethin' for my Thanksgiving dinner when I'm there.

MargeinMI:
But I just went to West Virginia and the Annapolis Boat Show last month!

However, I do know what you meant...and taking pictures is definitely part of my agenda.
(If only I remember to)

Maggie:
My friend Dr. Lisa is only 4'10"; she's a "little people"...

November 17, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger JR said...

Cancun this time of the year is Great... One of those places in the Hotel District has Turkey on the menu... T.G.I. Fridays should have a Tukey Club Sandwich???

November 17, 2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Been there, done that... Chichen Itza and Cancun that is. Didn't visit any cenotes though. Maybe I'll post my pictures one of these days. Need to get my scanner back into operation.

(:D) Regards...

November 17, 2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger benning said...

Love the images, Cano! Especially the column of light on the pool.

Here's some lyrics from Ringo to accompany you on your trip:
"Las Brisas"
(Nancy Andrews and Richard Starkey)

Cross over the border,
We'll take a sailing ship into the night.

A sea without horizons,
We'll have each others love to hold us tight,
On a starless night.

Oh, las brisas,
Means the breeze will carry us like two birds in flight,
On a starless night.

Oh, penumbra,
Means the sunset that i see within your smile,
Is the dawn of your eyes.

Yo te amo,
Means i love you like i've never loved before.

Dreams come true, dear,
When i take you in my arms forever more,
Forever more.

Oh, las brisas,
Means the breeze will carry us like two birds in flight,
On a starless night.

Oh, penumbra,
Means the sunset that i see within your smile,
Is the dawn of your eyes.

Penumbra,
Means the sunset that i see within your smile,
Is the dawn of your eyes.

Yo te amo,
Means i love you like i've never loved before.
Forever more,
Forever more.

Ay ay ay ay ay.

Ay ay ay ay ay.

November 17, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

No turkey just means no tryptophan. You'll stay more alert.

Have fun!

November 17, 2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

JR:
I'm guessing that the "all-inclusive" plan at the resort we're going to might just have some type of Thanksgiving dinner, to cater to we gringo turistas.

Hawkeye®:
I'd love to see your pictures from there.

benning:
I "misappropriated" those images off'n "Da 'Net".
(I'm glad you like 'em)

I've always appreciated Ringo, the previous thread notwithstanding. In the case of that one, I was merely making an observation. Anyway, thanks for the lyrics!

Beerme:
True. But then, I'll be in the right place for a nice li'l siesta.

Thanks...

November 17, 2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Kajun:
Me gusta muy bueno.

Eleventeen!

November 23, 2006 2:42 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter