.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sea for yourself...


I've been wanting to attend the Annapolis Boat Show for quite a few years now, but it has always conflicted with an annual hiker get-together that I go to.

This year, however, the hiker get-together has been rescheduled...so on with the show!

The Annapolis Boat Show launched the first in-water boat show in 1970; it is the world's largest show featuring exclusively new sailboats.

They do a powerboat show too, on the following weekend.

In any case, I'll be off to the boat show on Saturday, to drool over catamarans in particular.

My original idea was to sell my house when I retire, and buy as much boat as that would afford me.

I have since been disabused of that notion, but still plan to have a boat capable of bluewater cruising someday.

The boat I have now (pictured above, at a marina in The Bahamas) is actually my first, and the second time I launched it was on Lake Superior. That was an adventure, but one I'll save for another day.

I figured I'd have to start learning to sail sometime, so I traded a '95 Harley for the boat a few years ago. This was before I took some sailing lessons in Marathon, but I studied up on it, and started to learn by doing.

In 2004 I was in The Bahamas reading a sailing magazine, and became convinced (for a number of reasons) that a catamaran was the way to go. They're spacious, and can get into much shallower places than a deep draft monohull. On the other hand, they are also quite expensive by comparison.

I really like the ability that my 26' MacGregor "trailer sailer" has to be towed quite a distance, and to launch at some fairly shallow ramps. I was told once at a ramp next to a convenience store at Key Largo that it couldn't be done. It was.

One thing I'd like to do after I retire, with the boat I have now, is something called the "Great American Loop". That basically consists of circumnavigating the Eastern U.S.

In the meantime, for the past couple of years, I've been sailing with an eclectic bunch of folks calling themselves the "Conch Cruisers". Last year we went to Bimini out of Homestead, FL; the year before that it was out of Key West to the Dry Tortugas. This year I had knee surgery due to a skiing injury, so they sailed in the Outer Banks area without me.

I'm seriously considering trying out a shared ownership program when the time comes.

It seems like a "win-win" option to me...

11 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

I hope it wasn't November when you sailed on Lake Gitchegumee...

October 04, 2006 7:12 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Marsha:
The waves I encountered on Lake Superior on the way back from Isle Royale were impressive...and spaced closer together than is typical on the ocean, so I got pounded.

Yes, see you at the Gathering!!!

Beerme:
Actually, it was one September, the week after Labor Day.

rusty:
But you already know about that...

October 04, 2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

A catamaran was a fantasy way back with some high school buddies. Much more recently my wife and I have dreamed of doing the "land yacht" version upon retirememnt getting the largest motor home that our finances will allow and crusing the entire country. Recent developements may postpone that some, may never happen at all but you have to have a dream eh?
Good luck with yours! Have fun at the show.

October 04, 2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
I have a minimalist "land yacht" with my conversion van; as Rusty mentioned above, when I launched at Lake Winnipesaukee during Laconia Bike Week one year, I had all of my big toys with me. I did the conversion in such a way that I could fit the Harley inside, and tow the boat, too...which is exactly what I did that time.

As for cruising the entire country, I've already done that, on the Harley I traded for my boat. This was when I was laid off from the Military-Industrial Complex for 15½ months back in '96 and '97. I rode all over the U.S. of A., through the 48 contiguous States, and three Canadian Provinces.

Maggie:
"Fair winds and following seas" it is, thanks!

October 04, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Well "Shiver Me Timbers!" Ahoy there, matey. Hoist the mainsail and mind your fathoms. Hard to starboard... and all that stuff.

(:D) Regards from...
The Landlubber

October 04, 2006 7:29 PM  
Blogger JR said...

Shiver me timbers Ye be Camo Jack da Pirate...

Have fun, that boat so cool...

October 05, 2006 4:42 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
Avast, ye scurvy knave!

Yo ho ho, and whatnot!!!

JR:
Camo Jack da Pirate, eh? That has a nice ring to it.

Regarding "Olivia II", she'll do...for now.

Oh, and ELEVENTEEN...

October 05, 2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Just be careful out there, Camo. You ain't the only nut on the high seas, y'know!

Me, I get seasick - always have, and I hate it! - and that limits my enjoyment of the waves. I prefer the mountains. LOL

October 06, 2006 8:11 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
I'm glad that I don't get seasick...but have you tried dramamine or the like?

Of course, I like the mountains too; also, what's under 'em.

Road Rider:
I do try, thanks.

My philosophy is to live while I'm alive.
(I might not get another chance!)

darth_meister:
Actually, one time last year when I was sailing in The Keys it was quite windy, so I lowered the mains'l and sailed with the jib (heads'l) only for awhile. It doesn't tack as well thataway, but it's good to develop those seamanship skills...

October 06, 2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

They have some nice catamarans at the Boat Show, camo. The Unit and I went a few years ago. I avoided it like the plague during the 3 years we lived in Annapolis, but we went year before last and they had some to die for ones there. I almost liked them better than the sailboats.

October 08, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Cassandra:
They definitely had some nice catamarans at the Boat Show, to be sure. The reason I'm more interested in a catamaran is because they can get into "skinnier" water than a deep keeled monohull, and I'd like to be as unlimited as possible vis-á-vis potential destinations. My swing-keel MacGregor is great in that respect, but absolutely not a bluewater cruiser; sailing it from Florida to The Bahamas was "pushing the envelope", methinks. I was quite impressed with the TomCat 9.7 regarding accommodations vs. price, too.

October 09, 2006 3:55 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter