.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Senseless slaughter...

A.P: SYDNEY, Australia - At least 10 stingrays have been killed since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was fatally injured by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge that people not take revenge on the animals.

Steve Irwin's untimely demise was noted here last week...and on a lot of other blogs too. It seems to have come as a shock to many.

Now it would appear that some miscreants are seeking some form of misguided retribution; Mr. Irwin was considered something of a National Treasure in Australia, so some insensible individuals are apparently taking it out on these innocent sea creatures.

There is nothing malicious about stingrays; their sting is a purely defensive reflex, and generally when people are stung by them it is quite accidental, most often because they stepped on one they didn't know was there. Stingrays do stay quite low, even partially buried sometimes.

Were he alive today, I am quite certain that Steve would be appalled at this atrocious behavior. The Animal Kingdom was his "raison d'etre" , one might say.

Killing these unique animals is the antithesis of everything Steve Irwin stood for.

This is no way to honor his memory...

11 Comments:

Blogger benning said...

That's so damned silly. What do these people use for brains?

September 13, 2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

I saw that story and could hardly believe it. Even if one wanted to kill a stingray (a dumb idea at best) how would one go about finding, catching and killing them? I'm guessing it's one person or group because the average person would have no idea how to do any of those things.
So silly, so sad!

September 13, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Idiots.

September 13, 2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger mig said...

Stupid is as stupid does.

September 13, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

I heard this story on TV last night...just more people showing their imbecility by "retaliating" against these innocent creatures. The older I get, and the more interaction I have with my fellow man [present company excepted], the more time I'd rather spend with my darling dog!He's very smart, and has a heart of gold!

September 13, 2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger spd rdr said...

You can never overestimate the stupidity of the human species.

September 13, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

The Stingray killers are all Liberal Democrats, I'm sure.

September 13, 2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Brains? If they have any, they don't use them; perhaps they're sitting on 'em.

boberin:
Stingrays aren't all that fast. They're caught fairly easily, consequently they could be killed fairly easily as well.

MargeinMI:
In a word, yes.

mig:
Stupid indeed...and hateful.

Maggie:
I do try to edify with my li'l corner of "da blogosphere". It's good to be appreciated, though.

'da Bunny:
Someone (I don't know who) once said, "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." I can certainly understand the sentiment, but I think roughly one third of humanity is basically OK.

spd rdr:
Quite. Or as I like to say, stupidity knows no lower limit.

Barb:
Heh, heh...

September 13, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

darth_meister:
I agree with you 100%; whoever would do such a thing is a moron and stingrays are beautiful...in their own uniquely (almost otherworldly) way.

September 14, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

My cousin was killed by a Stingray. He drove his Corvette Stingray into a tree at about 130 miles per hour. I know... that wasn't funny, but it's true.

Forgive me if I sound stupid. I'm a bit tipsy right now. A bit too much to drink. And my emotions are all over the place. I just watched the movie "United 93"... cried like a baby at the end.

And I'm angry as HELL at those liberals who think terrorists should have more rights in America than we Americans. Those rights are NOT free. They were paid for by the blood of patriots. They were paid for by the blood of heroes. They were paid for by the taxes of hard-working American citizens... THEY AIN'T FREE!!!

Sorry. Rant over,
Best regards...

September 14, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
It sounds to me as though your cousin killed himself; that Stingray didn't.

I saw the made-for-television movie about Flight 93...that one affected me profoundly, too.

September 15, 2006 1:32 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter