.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Crikey!!!

That was the "signature" exclamation of Steve Irwin:

I think it's a quite appropriate reaction to the news of his untimely demise, and one I feel certain he'd appreciate.

In an ironic turn of events, he was fatally struck in the heart yesterday by a stingray on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Ironic because he took a lot of calculated risks with creatures far more dangerous than the relatively benign stingray. Excluding violent allergic reactions, I would venture to guess that the statistics for death by stingrays is nearly nil. Rays usually only sting as a defensive reflex; generally when inadvertently stepped on in the case of humans, for whom their venom typically causes nothing more than a very painful sting.

By being struck directly in the heart, this was just an instance of extremely bad luck. None of us knows when our time will be up, but 44 seems to be far too young to die, although there are worse ways to go than in the midst of doing that which you love. Still, I was shocked and saddened to hear the news.

I've been swimming with rays in various places all over the world, including the Great Barrier Reef, but most recently last Summer in the Bahamas.

Here's a picture of one I swam with there:
(It tickled when he/she swam over my feet)

I think Steve Irwin was fairly well-known, but to review...in 1992 (coincidentally, the year I was in Australia) "The Crocodile Hunter" started being aired by the Discovery Network, and in 2002 he starred in the feature film "The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course."

He always seemed like an affable kind of guy. He is survived by his wife Terri, daughter Bindi Sue and son Bob.

Steve, we hardly knew ye...

11 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Young indeed... and bad luck is an understatement!

September 05, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Island Girl TLA said...

Being an avid diver, snorkler and plain ole swimmer, my ventures lead me to a few "rays". I was scared of them but figured if I left them alone they would leave me alone.

My family loved this show. It was always a nail biter to say the least.

We would often wonder "how in the world does this guy know all this stuff?"

He was crazy with Wild Life but always respected it.

Rest In Peace

September 05, 2006 9:34 AM  
Blogger JR said...

I heard he dived in on top of the Ray... I never took him as a Thrill Seeker... Sure maybe thirty years ago it was a thrill... I'll remember him as one, very, very, happy guy... He often said this: There is nothing better than doing what you love and getting paid at the same time...

September 05, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I am also shocked and saddened by this untimely passing. The circumstance was sheer bad luck, and a fluke of the worst sort. Stingrays have killed fewer than 20 people since records have been kept.

I always got creepy twitches when Mr. Irwin would grab a dangerous reptile. Around the homeplace, we drag out a shotgun and open fire when a large, poisonous critter is sighted.

He seemed happy with what he did, and I think he appreciated the irony of his demise. Live fast, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse.

I have survived Mr. Irwin by a score of years, but I have never touched a live snake, either.

September 05, 2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
I did say it was extremely bad luck. And if I may be so trite as to use a cliché, albeit it a topical one:
"The world was his oyster."

Island Girl:
Apparently he was very well read on his critters; they were his life and first love.

Does your moniker derive from your love of the ocean?

JR:
He certainly seemed to be a happy sort...doing what he loved and getting paid for it helped, I'm sure.

Possum:
I think we are usually dismayed whenever someone younger than us dies suddenly. At least it was quick, and happened while he was pursuing his "Muse". As I said, there are worse ways to go...

September 05, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

I'll miss his antics on his show and, because I feel I got to know them from his show, I feel terrible for his family.
So young and so very unexpected.

G'day Mate!

September 05, 2006 6:23 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

He certainly had a style of his own. Comedians could imitate him ,and one immediately knew who the comedian was 'doing'. There really aren't that many people with as recognizable style. Bogart,John Wayne ,Jimmy Stewart,but most of the stars of today don't have a clue about owning a style.
He would be handling some repulsive creepy-crawly and sort of joking along with an explanation ,when suddenly you could hear the very real alarm in his voice. But I never saw him 'lose ' it.
Prayers to his family.

September 05, 2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger kateykakes said...

R.I.P. Steve. :(

September 05, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

I feel very, very sorry for his wife and children. When one engages in abnormally high-risk activities, one has to expect that their "luck" may run out at some point. It's just a real shame that his children will now have to grow up without their father. May God be with them.

September 05, 2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
I feel bad for his family, too. His wife is an American, and their children are very young, the youngest only 2½.

Barb:
He was a sort of iconic presence, yes. A lovable goofball, who had fun and made a great living doing so.

kateykakes:
Amen...and welcome to my li'l corner o' the "blogosphere".

I believe I've seen you posting at "Hooey's" blog.

'da Bunny:
That's just it, though; although a number of the things he did could be described as high-risk activities, exploring the Great Barrier Reef is comparatively safe. I've done it myself.

Regarding his family, yes, God's blessing be upon them...

September 06, 2006 1:41 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

ransom:
It's possible; they say He works in mysterious ways. At least it was quick, if not painless.

Oh...and welcome to my li'l corner o' the "blogosphere".

September 06, 2006 4:26 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter