.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hit the dusty trail...

I have mentioned a hiker get-together that I've been attending for years in a couple of previous posts.

It's called the Gathering, and is organized by ALDHA, which is an acronym for the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association.
(It'll be this coming weekend)

While it was originally organized for Appalachian Trail hikers, many of the members have hiked on a number of long distance trails, most notably the Pacific Crest Trail and the Continental Divide Trail.

I have hiked extensively, including many hikes on the Appalachian Trail, in most of the States through which it passes...a year ago, I hiked to the Northern Terminus, which is Mount Katahdin in Maine.

After that, I went to the Gathering, which was held at Dartmouth University in Hanover, NH last year.

This year it will be held at Concord University in
Pipestem, WV...it alternates between those locations each year.

If the weather's good, I'll ride the Harley...

12 Comments:

Blogger Pat's Rick© said...

Have fun. my friend.

October 11, 2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Sounds like a good time. The AT is a beautiful thing!

October 11, 2006 7:51 AM  
Blogger JR said...

So what's on the menu for lunch???

October 11, 2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Sure. Go ahead. And leave me here to work long days and weekends! See if I care...

(:D) Best regards...

October 11, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Pat'sRick©:
Having fun is the plan, definitely.

Beerme:
The A.T. is a beautiful thing; when I retire, it's my intention to attempt a "thru-hike".

JR:
For lunch? Trail mix. But seriously, on my there on Friday I will probably stop and eat dinner at a Cracker Barrel.
(On the way back, for breakfast)

Hawkeye®:
I'll prob'ly work 7 days a week for a spell in the dead of Winter. I did that for the past few years.

Dr. Harden Stuhl:
Riding the Harley is easier than hiking, especially since my knee surgery in April.
(But it's getting better)

camojack_senior:
I hear that, Pappy o' mine...

October 11, 2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

You sure do get around! Good for you, have a blast, come back and tell us about it!

October 12, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger JR said...

I never liked the trail mix... I eat most of time while I hike... Plenty of M&M peanuts, chashews, beef jerky and Tons of Whoopers... Yes, sometimes I gain weight...

October 12, 2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

ELEVENTEEN!!!

Maggie:
I'd love to take a hike, thanks!

boberin:
Yeah, I guess I get around quite a bit; I've been to every State but Alaska, and quite a few countries, too.

JR:
I like the trail mix I make myself best...lots of tropical fruit in mine, like pineapple, papaya, mango, banana. Oh, and I also bring beef jerky...

October 12, 2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Maggie:
I already did hit the road... but now I'm back.

October 15, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

onlineanalyst:
The place I was camped is the Appalachian Folklife Center; Pipestem State Park is nearby.

As for the A.T. in New Hampshire, the White Mountains are pretty tough...people have died of exposure on Mt. Washington, even in Summer.

Regarding Bill Bryson's book, it got a lot of people interested in thru-hiking, but it's very controversial amongst the hiking crowd...

October 16, 2006 1:37 AM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

Sounds like a great time. I've hiked along the southern Appalachian Trail through parts of Alabama and North Georgia. I've got a great picture of my daughter in a backpack carrier along the Blood Mountain spur trial. Mostly just a day hiker but still love it.

October 16, 2006 4:44 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

American Crusader:
First of all, welcome; I don't think you've posted here before.

Regarding the event, it's the people there who make it a great time...as is often the case.

October 16, 2006 8:11 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter