.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

How I spent my (Christmas) vacation...

...was riding my Harley to Florida.

I have off between Christmas and New Year (with pay) from the Military-Industrial Complex, in lieu of several "minor" holidays throughout the year.

For the past few years, I've been going to Hawaii during that timeframe, and using vacation time thereafter in order to stay for awhile longer.

This year, however, I didn't go to Hawaii for Christmas week; I did leave town, though.

To preclude being stranded by any weather conditions on my return trip, I loaded my motorcycle into the "Camobile" (my van) and drove to North Carolina.
(I figured that'd be far enough)

The good folks at Collier Harley-Davidson of Roanoke Rapids, NC were kind enough to allow me to leave my truck in their lot, for which I am extremely grateful.
(Much better than some rest area)

So...on Christmas Day, after my visiting (and a football game) was concluded, I took a nap until midnight, at which time I got up and departed.
(I'd already loaded the van)

As a third shifter, the hours were fine, and got me past the infamous D.C. Beltway when it was relatively quiescent.

When I arrived in NC, I napped for a few hours, then got up and unloaded the bike.

Cheryl of Collier Harley-Davidson was just arriving for the day, and we spoke briefly.
(She'd given me permission to park)

Once underway, I encountered a lot of Southbound traffic, such that I got off of I-95 and took US 1 a few times. According to the truckers on my CB radio, it was all the "snowbirds" migrating South for the Winter. I got to my destination about 10:15 PM on 12-26-06.

On the return trip, (departing at 9:15 AM on 12-30-06) I bypassed more traffic on I-95, and rode approximately 845 miles back to Collier Harley-Davidson (arriving at 10:15 PM).

I immediately loaded the Harley into the "Camobile", and headed North, not stopping for a nap until 2:30 AM at the first rest area in Maryland.

I woke up at 9 AM, and was home by 11 AM.
(In plenty of time for a New Year's party)

The only rain was North of Jacksonville, into Georgia.
(I've gotta love my rainsuit!!!)

Patronizing Collier Harley-Davidson is strongly encouraged.

They definitely have my thanks...

6 Comments:

Blogger Bunny said...

And, what did you do while you were IN Florida? [glad you had a safe trip]

January 03, 2007 2:08 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

ola, I think it's...

Rollin' rollin' rollin',
Keep that camo rollin',
Rollin' rollin' rollin'
Harley! YeeeHaw [whipcrack]

Fun in the sun? It hit 50 today. In January. In Michigan. If it weren't so durned wet, I'd be rollin' on my tractor. ;o)

Ride on!

January 03, 2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger mig said...

Well, sorry that we missed you. We are a good drive East from Raliegh. We sure would have liked you to stop by. Maybe next time. I know you were on a time crunch but it still would be great...

January 03, 2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

onlineanalyst:
"On the Road Again" prob'ly would make an appropriate theme song pour moi, yes.

Along the way I mostly just concentrated on making miles, only stopping for fuel and grabbing something quick to eat and drink something (with caffeine in it) while I was at it. I did try a bowl of jambalaya at a Bojangles in the Carolinas which was an adjunct to a gas station, which was OK, but it would've been better if they weren't out of hot sauce.

Road Rider:
Heh. I'm more interested in warmer places.

Happy New Year to you, too.

'da Bunny:
While I was in Florida? I ate, drank and made merry.

MargeinMI:
Actually, after 800+ miles "in the saddle" on Saturday, "Rawhide" would make a good theme song as well.

Gotta love that "global warming", too.

mig:
In fact, I thought about it, but (as you point out) you're a ways East of I-95. Also, (again, as you point out) I was running a tight schedule...

January 03, 2007 8:07 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

jack,

Rawhide? I'll bet! The 845 mile/thirteen hour leg, especially...

After that ride, I'd be sleepin' for awhile...then I'd be...eatin', drinkin', and makin' merry!

Hoppy New Year!

January 04, 2007 5:25 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
I once rode about 1300 miles, in a little over 24 hours.
(Speakin' of "Rawhide")

Hoppy New Year? I'll drink to that!

Kajun:
Originally, I had planned to nap in a rest area in Virginia; perhap it's better that I made it all the way through, then...

January 04, 2007 5:44 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter