.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My other bike...

As I've written about before, I have been bicycling sections of the C & O Canal Towpath for a number of years now, working my way along the Potomac River from Cumberland, MD to Washington D.C.

I left off at Swain's Lock last time, so that's where I began this time 'round.

There's lots of nice scenery to look at along the way:

Big bird in the canal

Old lock keeper's house

Old, original mile marker

Great Falls

One of the many locks

Georgetown "canyon"

Renovated canal boat entering lock

Historic Georgetown

Weird aerodynamic bike

This was the final section; I have now ridden the entire 184.5 miles:

7 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Camo,
I don't understand how you find the time to do all this stuff. You must have way too much vacation time!

(I'm jealous)

(:D) Best regards...

July 17, 2007 7:48 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Wow, great pictures...especially the ones of the falls and the old structures. Looks like you had good weather for it, too. Another "mission accomplished!!"
:-)

July 17, 2007 10:46 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Awesome scenery and a great way to get around, too! I'd say that was a nice finish to the trip.

July 17, 2007 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. One of the things I miss most about Sacramento is the American River Parkway. If you are ever in that neck of the woods, check it out.

July 17, 2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
Don't you get weekends off? No vacation time was harmed in the taking of this excursion, and the week I took off earlier this month was in conjunction with a paid holiday (July 4th). For the other 4 workdays of that week, I used 2 vacation days and 2 sick days. Sick of working, that is; luckily I haven't been sick (yet) this year.

Bunny:
Yes, the pictures turned out much better this time, since I didn't leave the camera set to closeup.
(Like a nitwit)

As for the weather, it was nice on Saturday, the day of the ride. Fortunately we slept in the van the night before, when the Heavens opened up with a deluge of Biblical proportions.

Beerme:
Awesome scenery indeed, and good for helping me stay in some kind of decent shape. It was a nice finish to the whole series of trips...a very scenic section.

Grant Jones:
I like checking out various bike paths, although Sacramento is a bit far afield for me. I also like contributing to the "Rails to Trails" organization, so there'll be plenty of 'em to choose from...

July 17, 2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

I live a few blocks off the Ohio & Erie Canal. In my days of being a useful human being, I spent many a day on the Canal Boat telling stories. Nowadays I just think about those days.

I loved riding my bike on the towpath, tried to do it everyday. Great exercise!

July 17, 2007 9:37 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Ms. Inkslinger:
Let's have no more of this talk implying that you are no longer a useful human being, OK?

The way I see it, you still bring joy to many of us with your stories...

July 18, 2007 10:38 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter