.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Power trip?

Some alternatives to fossil fuel...

(This is also my desktop "wallpaper")

Wave Energy: Ocean waves are a concentrated form of wind energy. As wind blows across water, friction develops between air and water. As energy from wind flow is transferred to water, waves are produced. Generating energy from waves is a matter of taking the motion of the waves and translating it into mechanical or electrical energy.

An excellent reference for learning about various types of wave energy generators (and others) can be found at the Rezachek & Associates' Energy & Environmental Resources website.

(PacWind "Seahawk" generator)

Wind Energy: Windmills have been around for centuries. The picture above is of an interesting new design which, according to the PacWind website, is "ideal for homes, small commercial buildings, boats, remote power, emergency power, and battery charging." The beauty of this one is that it can be stacked on a tower that will accommodate up to 5 units, works in low wind conditions and is safe in all wind conditions.

There are plenty of other choices out in the market when it comes to wind generators, too.

(Algae tanks)

GreenFuel Technologies: "GreenFuel's high yield algae farms recycle carbon dioxide from flue gases to produce biofuels and feed, reducing net carbon dioxide production as waste becomes profit. Harvesting algae for biofuels enhances domestic fuel production while mitigating CO2."

(Spicy jatropha - Jatropha integerrima)

Jatropha: "The hardy jatropha is resistant to drought and pests, and produces seeds containing up to 40% oil. When the seeds are crushed and processed, the resulting oil can be used in a standard diesel engine, while the residue can also be processed into biomass to power electricity plants."

All of the above is but a small sample of the alternative energy sources being researched and currently available in today's market.

When I retire to warmer climes, it is my plan to utilize various forms of alternative energy and hopefully even sell my excess electricity to the local utility company.

An alternative "alternative lifestyle"?

Ouch...

15 Comments:

Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Back in my young adult days when we lived in Minnesota we were always working up some new idea for energy savings like compost toilets, which we placed on our farm. Solar energy was just coming to age and wind generating was as old as my grandpa who had a generator on a wind mill which my not to distant kin folk had a patent on.

Back in the early 7o's we were called hippies and back to the landers. Now they call them bio-friendly or earth friendly. I think we can go a long way to create new energy forms if we can just shoot the liberals and get them out of our way.

I have mentioned before the PBS program Falmers Almanac TV. I see a lot of things we atarted back in the day and call me an old hippie, but they still make sense. Give me good organic food products at a price I can afford and I will buy them. Problem is, I can't afford them

November 03, 2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Fascinating information, Jack. Living where I do, I have often wondered why they aren't harnessing the power of the ocean to generate electricity here, as well as desalinating the ocean water to make up for the limited freshwater supplies that are available. For this state, and its residents, that claims to be so "environmentally aware," their lack of planning and proper utilization of the vast natural resources is a source of constant amazement to me. Pipelines of ocean water could also be used for fire-fighting efforts, being that we're prone to wildfires. :-(

November 03, 2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Good news! And so much more efficient and interesting than the normal "corn-to-ethanol" bio-fuel stories.

Don't forget the Hemp plant (much more useful and efficient in energy extraction than the over-hyped switchgrass) for its energy and other abilities.

If you ignore the anti-US slant, this article
lists some other alt-energy information...

November 04, 2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Ms RightWing:
You hippie! I'm happy to know you.

BTW, that's fascinating about your kinfolk's patent for a wind generator.

Bunny:
It's funny (peculiar, not amusing) how people love to talk about doing something, but when it comes right down to it, talking is all they do. I'm a firm believer in keeping "conserve" in conservative, y'know?

For now, I do OK, but plan to do much better when I build my retirement hacienda.

Beerme:
I'm glad you found it interesting; it's a subject to which I've devoted quite a bit of time doing research.

There are plenty of plants besides corn that would yield ethanol more efficiently...like sugar cane, which produces more per acre than corn, and how they get it in Brazil. However, corn growers are a powerful lobby in this country.

Regarding the article you linked to, once I read the first sentence, I just skimmed the rest. As you said, good information, but with an anti-U.S. bias...

November 04, 2007 2:56 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Yes, I'm familiar with the "all talk, no action" M.O. [sigh]

I'm sure the "Hacienda de Camo" will be an energy-efficient marvel...not to mention that "alternative"[energy] lifestyle you'll be livin'. ;-)

I love your "wallpaper," btw.

November 04, 2007 11:12 PM  
Blogger David Stefanini said...

Hi, I love how you are running this blog. I just started a blog of my own and I was wondering if you would like to do a link exchange with my site. My site can be found at:

Absolutesportsreport.blogspot.com

If you want to do this, just leave a comment on my site, on any post, and I’ll link you later that night.

Thanks,
Dave

November 05, 2007 10:11 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Bunny:
I don't know that the retirement villa will be a marvel...but if I can manage to do without an electric bill, that'd be an awesome "alternative" lifestyle.

I'm rather fond of my "wallpaper" too.

David:
I'm curious as to how you arrived at my li'l corner of the "blogosphere", but I am not really into following sports all that much; actually, I prefer to engage in various physical activities myself, but not team sports...

November 06, 2007 7:45 AM  
Blogger benning said...

All of these are interesting. Attached to single dwellings they could ease energy drain a lot. We still need new refineries, though, along with the new technologies.

I like the Seahawk generator. I'm gonna check that out some more.

Good post!

November 07, 2007 5:08 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Sorry I've been remiss in responding...for over a week.

I like the Seahawk generators, too; they look a lot safer for one thing, and as I mentioned in the original post, they're stackable...

November 15, 2007 8:30 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Not a single stinkin' word on the price of one of those Seahawks. Sheesh!

November 15, 2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
Well...I guess if you'd contact them via their website, they could tell you the price. Personally, I have no idea.

ELEVENTEEN!!!

November 15, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Please help support Fred's Giving Day. It's the Fred Heads turn at creating a money bomb

for Fred

We have a widget you can add to your site as well as a button.

The site is

http://www.fredsgivingday.com

You can make your pledge there, then on November 21, 2007, make good on your pledge and

donate at Fred08.com

Please help spread the word!

November 16, 2007 1:05 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Camo :)

November 21, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Cassandra:
Happy Thanksgiving to you too, darlin'.

November 21, 2007 10:42 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

:)

November 22, 2007 8:47 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter