.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 11, 2012

You CAN get there from here...


I saw the following news item the other day:

Ferry service to start in Ouzinkie

The Associated Press
Published: March 8th, 2012 05:10 AM
Last Modified: March 8th, 2012 05:11 AM

KODIAK, Alaska - Ouzinkie (YOU'-zink-ee) is about to become part of the Alaska Marine Highway System.

The Kodiak Daily Mirror reports (http://bit.ly/xdb3ea) ferry service is expected to start once the town's new dock is completed, probably sometime in May.

The ferry Tustumena will stop two Mondays a month as it travels from Kodiak to Port Lions.


It made me happy to see that, since this will make it a lot easier for me to get things to Spruce Island, which is where I'm planning to be for the Summers a few years from now. I go there for a week or so in the Summer now, but in four years I'm planning to become a resident. Prior to the possibility of Ouzinkie getting ferry service, I was thinking I'd have to leave my vehicles on Kodiak; with the advent of the announcement above, things became a bit less complicated.

Not all progress is a bad thing...

8 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Great news.

So have I got this correct? You plan to be a resident of two States? Hawaii AND Alaska? So I guess you'll be living in Alaska during the winter and Hawaii during the summer?

(:D) Just kidding.

March 11, 2012 11:31 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

This is very good news for your Spruce Island residence plans, Jack. Gotta love it when the logistics are working in one's favor.

I see Hawkeye beat the rest of us to the "punchline", as it were. :-)

March 11, 2012 1:33 PM  
Blogger Nick - The Survival Guru said...

so your leaving the rest of us to the mainland while you become an Island boy. Sheesh! Thanks a bunch of coconuts mister.

March 11, 2012 5:14 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

A glacier climbing Harley! Now that I got to see.

I'm with you on the northern summer home. I would love to go back to Minnesota. Ohio summers are for the dogs. To hot, to humid. I have to much Scandahovian blood in me.

Good luck!

March 11, 2012 6:05 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
Not quite; I can only be a resident of one State, which will be Alaska. I'll go to Hawaii during the Winter though, along with quite a few other Alaska residents.

Bunny:
I had heard that they were looking into adding a ferry stop on Spruce Island, but the news item the other day confirmed that. Gotta love it!

Nick:
That's the plan...but you could join me, y'know. :-)

Shelly:
No glaciers will be climbed by my Harley. Myself perhaps, the Harley, not so much.

I'm no fan of the "dog days" of Summer either. 70 degrees in the Kodiaks suits me just fine... ;-)

March 12, 2012 3:58 AM  
Blogger bobinspain said...

...planning to visit you in both states... even though I haven't been to your current state in quite a while.

March 12, 2012 9:03 AM  
Blogger bobinspain said...

so, is that a "ferry to somewhere" ?

March 12, 2012 9:04 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Bob:
It has been quite a while. I don't think I've seen you since you got married. Cause and effect scenario?

A "ferry to somewhere"...as opposed to a "bridge to nowhere"? I reckon so...

March 16, 2012 3:34 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter