.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 16, 2006

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on...

HONOLULU (Reuters) - A powerful earthquake and repeated aftershocks shook Hawaii on Sunday, rattling nerves, knocking out power in Honolulu and prompting Gov. Linda Lingle to issue a disaster declaration for the entire state.

The 6.6 magnitude earthquake struck off the west coast of Hawaii on Sunday morning at 7:07 a.m. local time, with strong shaking felt as far as 150 miles away on the island of Oahu, according to the U.S. Geological Service.

The earthquake was not strong enough to trigger a tsunami warning, according to Victor Sardina, a geophysicist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

There were no immediate reports of serious injuries or fatalities as the quake struck off a sparsely populated area, but there were scattered reports of damage.

Lingle in a press conference broadcast over radio said she had flown over the island of Hawaii to assess damage and had yet to receive any reports of serious injuries.


Most folks who are even slightly familiar with me know that I like Hawaii. I try to spend some time there every Winter; the rest of the year it's OK in CONUS.

Earthquakes in the 6.0 magnitude range are rare in the region, but they have happened before. The area generallly has quakes in the 3 and 4 magnitude range caused by volcanic activity, when they occur.

The last Hawaiian earthquake this strong struck more than 20 years ago. The magnitude 6.7 caused heavy property damage on Hawaii Island and collapsed trails into a volcano in Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park on Nov. 16, 1983. A 6.1 magnitude quake also hit in 1989, according to the Earthquake Information Center.

The largest recorded Hawaiian earthquake struck the Ka'u District (where I spend much of my time when I'm there) on Hawaii Island in 1868, causing 77 deaths. Its magnitude was estimated at 7.9.

A 9.5-magnitude earthquake, the largest in the world, struck Chile on May 22, 1960, and a tsunami traveled to Hawaii where 61 people died.

I spoke to a few of "my" people over there after the event...they assured me that they are fine, but it was an interesting experience.

As for me, I'm usually at the 1000' elevation.

UPDATE!!!
(Articles)

Hawaiians Check for Quake Damage

Aftershocks keep Hawaiians on edge

Damaging Quake Shakes Up Hawaii

Hawaii resident: 'Our whole house was rocking'

Past Earthquakes in Hawaii

Earthquake leaves Hawaii in the dark

My, That's a Big One
("The Dougout" blog)

12 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

I'm glad there are no injuries, especially among your friends. Looks like there was alot of damage, though.

October 16, 2006 5:42 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Yes, thank God no one was hurt. I experienced a minor quake in Morris County, NJ back in the 1984-85 time period (can't remember exactly when). It sounded like a huge truck was coming down the street. I looked out the window expecting to see one of those earth-moving vehicles they use in mining operations (you know, where the wheels are like 15' high). Never saw anything. Windows rattled, picture fell off the wall, knick-knacks falling off the shelf, etc. Definitely weird.

More info about Jersey quakes HERE.

October 16, 2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

First thing I thought of when I saw reports of the Hawaii quake on the news was YOU, Jack! And, I figured you'd be "on top of the story" with a new blog post! :-) I'm glad that none of your HI friends had any major problems resulting from the quake. Just hope it doesn't "set off" something here in these parts!!!

October 16, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger JR said...

A disaster declaration for the entire state??? The only story I could find were about several power outages because the transformers were triped... Where is the disaster???

October 16, 2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

It's funny how God evens things out ,isn't it? Hawaii and the west coast ,wonderful weather but earthquakes,and possible volcanoes. Florida, again near paradise weather ,but hurricanes.Other Island areas, both plus Tsunamis.I suppose a tornado can actually happen anywhere,but generally they don't do the massive damage,and since TV and Doppler radar,a lot fewer lives are lost,than years ago. That should be true with Hurricans ,too ,but not when people such as Nagin and Blanco are in charge.

October 16, 2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
Yes, a lot of damage, but thankfully only to property.

Hawkeye®:
One of my friends over there told me there was a loud sound that he described as "like jackhammers".

'da Bunny:
Heh...coincidentally, the first thing I thought of when I heard about it was me as well. OK, not really, it was my "peeps" over there.

Anyway, it's not projected to set off anything elsewhere.

JR:
Several links to various stories are now posted.

Barb:
They get hurricanes in Hawaii, too...

October 16, 2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live about thirty-five miles south of Hilo. So much for sleeping in on Sunday! That 6.6 baby got the wife and I up in one quick hurry. This part of the Island is fine. Just a power outage for a while, hardly a new thing for Helco customers. The roads are in good shape.

I wish the GD Lamestream media wouldn't sensatialize everything, the just got a lot of people's friends and families on the mainland worried for no reason.

October 16, 2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Grant Jones:
The media, yes...'nuff said on that score. I made some phone calls and found out everyone's OK.

If you didn't notice, I added a link to your blog's post about it...

October 16, 2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

The news did indeed make me think of you Camo. It made me wonder if you had ever been caving when a tremor struck. That would freak me out (as if being in a tight, underground space would not have already done so)
Glad to hear you freinds are ok

October 18, 2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
No, I've never experienced an earthquake underground...only in California, above ground. I think it might be a bit disconcerting while "in cave", indeed...

October 18, 2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger benning said...

I experienced a few tremors while I lived in California - many years ago! - and it can be disorienting. Out doors less so, but inside, with doors suddenly swinging, it can be a tad scary. For a moment you think you are passing out! The comic flinging himself down the hallway, from wall to wall, moaning and muttering doesn't help.

I'd hate to think those trails went into the volcano with anyone on them! I think we see Hawaii as volcanic, but not seismic, which is kinda silly, isn't it?

October 19, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
There were 5 earthquakes while I was living in California in the 70's...but strangely enough, I never felt a one. I even remember coming back to work from lunch once and having people ask me if I felt one that had just happened. Nope.

The only one I did feel woke me up while I was just passing through in '97, on the way to a job site in S. Korea...

October 19, 2006 5:28 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter