.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, June 26, 2009

Everything under the Sun!

Well, OK, not everything.

However, here are some solar energy projects representing solar-powered transportation by land, sea and air.

The first (by land) is by the brother of an acquaintance.

(Battery bank under the hood)

Here's what she (my acquaintance) had to say about it:

"This year's project was to convert an old El Camino truck to an electric car. One of the challenges was, when he finally loaded all 48 lithium batteries under the hood, the old springs sagged and the front end dropped so the roof of the wheel well was just above the tire. A neighbor hauled it off to a guy, who knew a guy, and the new stiffer springs did the trick - adequate lift. Well, it works. Saturday, we took a load of recyclables to the dump."

Check it out: Electric El Camino

Next up (by sea) is the PlanetSolar project.

(Artist's depiction)

From their website:

"In 2010, the first round-the-world trip powered by solar energy will be realized, with stopovers, along the equator, where the maximum amount of sunlight is available. The over 40,000-km voyage will last 120 days, for an average speed of 10 knots. PlanetSolar's two-man crew will cross the Atlantic Ocean, the Panama Canal, the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean and finally the Suez Canal, to return to the Mediterranean. After a roadshow with the village that will cross Switzerland in 2009, the boat will stop in cities like Monaco, Paris, Marseille, Dubaï, Abu-Dhabi, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Hambourg, New-York and San Francisco."

And last (by air), but not least, the Solar Impulse project:


"The Solar Impulse project...aims to have an airplane take off and fly autonomously, day and night, propelled uniquely by solar energy, right round the world without fuel or pollution."

Speaking of solar energy, I'm off for some "fun in the sun"...

13 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Have a great time, Camo!

June 28, 2009 9:58 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Yes, enjoy your vacation... as I'm enjoying mine.

(:D) Best regards...

June 28, 2009 6:54 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

You gotta "recharge" those batteries sometime! Thanks for ths informative post yet again.

Safe trip!

June 29, 2009 11:28 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

I love that someone took an old El Camino and converted it to battery power. HILARIOUS!

I should be "solar-powered," having just come back from Sedona, AZ, where it was sunny and very hot! [upper 90's -low 100's] Beautiful place. Don'tcha just love vacations? ;-)

July 01, 2009 3:36 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
I did have a great time, thanks.

It always seems to be over too quickly, though.

Hawkeye®:
I'm glad you had an enjoyable vacation as well.

boberin:
"Recharging the batteries" keeps Jack from being a dull boy.

As you know, I try to be informative, also.

Bunny:
The El Camino is definitely a unique vehicle; a battery-powered one even more so.

I do love vacations, indeed. Does it show? :-)

July 06, 2009 12:22 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Too hot along the equator, Camo. I don't think I'll sign up for that trip.

HAve a nice cool beer!

July 16, 2009 6:19 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

benning:
It was definitely hot at times...so at those times I jumped in the water, which was perfect.

My preference would have been Memorial Day Week, like when I went on a similar excursion in St. Martin last year, but the BVI itinerary wasn't available then. Anyway, the tradewinds help, too...

July 17, 2009 3:26 AM  
Blogger BillT said...

...in the past few months there were visits from the following countries:

Now you can add Iraq by way of a sat in geosynchronous orbit over Tanzania -- a twofer, as 'twere...

July 31, 2009 12:47 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

BillT:
Welcome to my li'l corner o' "da blogosphere".

Comsats notwithstanding, I see that there was a visit from Kuwait today...Iraq's neighbor. However, there were also some "Unknown" visitors, so maybe one of those was in Iraq. Is that where you are, then?

Interestingly enough (to me, at any rate) there was also a visit from The Vatican today; maybe the Pope was checking up on me...

July 31, 2009 4:40 PM  
Blogger BillT said...

Yup -- Kirkuk, to be precise. Your Kuwait hit was most likely someone in transit through Ali Al Salem.

I don't have any current contacts in the Vatican, but my guardian angel is AWOL and he surfs...

August 01, 2009 3:01 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

BillT:
I (strongly) suspect that my visitor in Kuwait was an actual resident there, since their search terms included the following:
قد تكون الصورة محمية بموجب حقوق النشر
(Whatever that means)

Anyway, they were checking out an image I posted of a Mosquito Ultralight Helicopter...

August 01, 2009 5:30 PM  
Blogger Cassandra said...

You always find the most interesting things, Camo.

I wonder what the world will be like for our grandchildren. Can we even imagine it?

August 01, 2009 9:58 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Cassandra:
Thanks, darlin'. When I started this blog some years back I said that it'd be about whatever is "flitting across the old(ish) cortex"...and my curiosity knows no bounds. Besides, you (et al) cover the world of polemics exceedingly well.

I wonder what our grandparents would've thought of our world today. Well, mine anyway, because they're all deceased; for all I know yours may still be among the living. As for our grandchildren, they might just be colonizing other worlds...

August 02, 2009 3:53 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter