.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, July 16, 2010

How I spent my (latest) Summer vacation...

First, I did the tourist routine in Chicago. About a year ago, a new attraction opened in Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, called "The Ledge". This is an adjunct to the "Skydeck" on the 103rd floor.

Naturally, I had to check it out for myself:

(Yes, those are my hiking boots)

My eventual goal was a return to Alaska; I checked out some lots there, looking to establish a Summer retirement home where it's not so oppressively hot. While en route to see one of them, I observed several killer whales in Valdez Bay.

Here's a picture of one, coming up for air:


Other than researching available real estate, I availed myself of the opportunity to complete a "set" of sorts. Having already ridden a Harley in 49 States, I rented one while I was in Alaska, seen here by "Horsetail Falls":

(Those falls are but a few miles outside of Valdez)

My final stop was Kodiak, Alaska...where I saw (among other things) a sea lion eating a fish in St. Paul Harbor:


The calamari at Henry's is awesome there, too.

All in all, a most excellent adventure...

10 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Sounds like fun. How long were you "on tour"? I missed your regular visits to the 'View'.

(:D) Best regards...

July 16, 2010 7:22 PM  
Blogger RAM said...

I wish I had your money. lol

Beautiful pictures!

July 17, 2010 2:59 AM  
Blogger Dimension Sing Making Institute said...

Great trip, did you go to the Navy Pier while in Chicago?
There's a great stained glass museum.

July 17, 2010 9:28 AM  
Blogger Grim said...

Those falls are amazing. I wish I'd had the freedom to head up there alongside! Glad you had a good time.

July 17, 2010 1:54 PM  
Blogger Allen Maddox said...

Looks like a great vacation. Looking forward to see more pictures and hear more stories.

July 17, 2010 9:03 PM  
Blogger Nick - The Survival Guru said...

I'm going to Hawaii in December, my first ever trip to the islands.My wife has already been,once. Two weeks on OAHU. Mom-in-law paying!!
nicky j.

July 17, 2010 10:21 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
I was "on tour" for a little over a week.
(I covered a lot of ground this trip)

RAM:
Actually, I don't have a lot of money; I pretty much spend it all going on vacations. I'm glad you like the pictures, though.

mmezalick:
Thanks. I only drove past the Navy Pier on the way to visit Willis Tower (and back).

Grim:
There were a number of nice falls (and glaciers) along the way...I posted that particular photo because the Harley I rented was in it too. If you'd like, I can send more pictures your way.

I might be going back up to Alaska every Summer from now on, so maybe you could come up some year when I do.

Allen:
It was a great vacation, thanks. I can send more pictures your way as well, and I'd be more than happy to tell you all about it the next time I see you.

Nick:
I'll be going to Hawaii in December also, starting around Christmas and staying for the first week in January. However, I'll be on the Big Island, with a possible side trip to Lanai. Having your mother-in-law pay for the trip is a great deal, too.. ;-)

July 17, 2010 11:10 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

On the go again, huh. Great.
I thought you were going to retire (?) in Hawaii, not Alaska. I know about the heat. I have been a prisoner to my air conditioned apartment.

Yesterday I had to go to a cruise-in so I packed myself in a cooling vest and neck cooler. Looked like I had a bullet proof vest, but I stayed cool.

I love Chicago and when I had legs that worked I did much the same--hiked the city and of course shot a lot of photos on the old architecture.

I AMTRAC'ed my way to the windy city from LA. Always thought I would return to the Windy, but never did.

Congrat's on the 57, er, 50 states of Harley. I have traveled all but Hawaii, but by truck, car and train and yes even bus. The bus was nearly 40 some years ago. I don't think I would go near a Greyhound again.

Keep us informed as always.

July 18, 2010 10:43 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

More tales of adventure and fun from the "camo" man. :-) The Alaskan weather will definitely be better than Philly in Summer. Plus, you'll be able to live out some of those dreams you've had for so long. Good for you...

July 18, 2010 9:03 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Shelly:
I have refined my post-retirement plans; Winter in Hawaii, Summer in Alaska, wherever I feel like in between.

As many times as I'd driven through Chicago I had never stopped, so it was high time that I did so.

Bunny:
It was definitely fun, and an adventure.

The Alaskan weather will certainly be better in Summer...than a lot of places.

July 19, 2010 8:52 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter