.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, June 14, 2010

Nautical items...

...or, if you prefer, "boat stuff". ;-)

I mentioned this project before about a year ago, when it was still basically a work in progress, but...the Turanor (also known as the PlanetSolar Project) is an entirely solar powered boat that was launched on March 31st.


This boat was essentially built to demonstrate that cargo shipping vessels can operate without fuel. Based upon the amount of fuel used by various ships plying the waters all over the world every day, this could potentially yield tremendous savings which would hopefully be passed along to consumers, and would also go a long way towards conserving fuel. Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much it might help mitigate Global Warming™ too.
(Yeah, right!)

Speaking of solar projects on boats, I added a solar charging circuit to my boat, to keep the battery charged:


In order to prevent it from overcharging the battery, I also added a charge controller to the circuit:


Earlier this month, I was on a nice cruise in The Abacos, considered by many to be the sailing destination in The Bahamas.

Here's the boat (and captain) at the dock in Marsh Harbor:


A view of the lighthouse at Hope Town from the boat:


And a view from the lighthouse:


Before this trip, I knew that there are a number of caves in The Bahamas, and my research turned up some information about one at Little Harbor...which happened to be one of the places we'd be visiting, so I went caving too. In fact, I got what I think is an awesome picture of some bats in that cave:


Last, but not least, I'd like to bring up the failed attempt by 16 year old Abby Sunderland to become the youngest person to complete a circumnavigation on a sailboat.


On June 10th, while sailing in heavy seas and high winds in the Southern part of the Indian Ocean, the boat was dismasted and she activated her distress beacons. Thankfully, she was rescued two days later.

Not to be a "Monday morning quarterback", but she and her family had been advised that her planned schedule would put her in that area at the worst time of year, weather-wise. However, she went for it anyway. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I think it was irresponsible of her parents to allow her to try it when she did. Some people will do anything to get into the record books; I'm just glad that this particular story didn't end in tragedy...

14 Comments:

Blogger boberin said...

You've once again demonstrated your mastery of the camera, congratulations on some fine shots (yes the bats are a highlight)!
And of course you've activated my normally dormant "jealousy" gene as well. You do get to some interseting spots!

June 22, 2010 10:32 AM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Very nice, Jack. I've already seen the Bahamas trip pics, but I also enjoyed the others, as well. :-) I agree with you about Abby's parents using poor judgement in letting her go on that sailing venture. Those "parents" seem to be on the same wavelength as "Balloon Boy's." Anything for a buck and their 15 minutes of fame. :-(

June 22, 2010 10:41 AM  
Blogger Nick - The Survival Guru said...

aVast ther, matey!
By gar cap'n tha ther is some ship by gum an rum.
slip the doc an let sail.

i be a pirate fer sure, Arrrrgh!

June 22, 2010 11:03 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Nice pics, as usual! I totally agree with your views on young Abby...

June 23, 2010 6:50 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

boberin:
I credit the advent of the digital camera with a lot; once upon a time I took quite a few less pictures in my travels, because after a couple dozen you had to change rolls of film...and then get it all developed. Anyway, I 'preciate the compliment.

I certainly try to see a number of places, and as often as possible.

Bunny:
I have to concur with the "Balloon Boy" parents analogy. 15 minutes of fame, indeed.

Nick:
Yo, ho, ho...and a bottle of Captain Morgan. ;-)

Beerme:
Thanks.

Regarding the Sunderlands, they deny it now after the mishap, but there are indications that they were trying to get a television deal...

June 23, 2010 6:54 AM  
Blogger Dimension Sing Making Institute said...

So as an alternative, how about METAL as the next fuel??

http://www.mng.org.uk/gh/renewable_energy/metal_NS_article.htm

June 23, 2010 7:55 AM  
Blogger Dimension Sing Making Institute said...

http://www.mng.org.uk/gh/
renewable_energy/
metal_NS_article.htm

the correct link, sorry

June 23, 2010 7:58 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Cool stuff as always mon ami!

(:D) Best regards...

June 23, 2010 10:44 AM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Man, I'm sure you are one guy who never gets bored. Great sailing and easy on the Captain Morgan-I hear it attracts sharks.

June 23, 2010 5:49 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

mmezalick:
Interesting, but...cost effective? I'm all for alternative forms of energy. Anything to reduce our dependency on foreign oil is a good thing.

Hawkeye®:
Merci. I'm glad you like it. :-)

Shelly:
I certainly try to keep myself occupied in various diverse activities.

As for the Captain Morgan, I rarely indulge. On those occasions when I do, it's usually heavily diluted with cola and ice... ;-)

June 24, 2010 12:34 AM  
Blogger Texan99 said...

Great pix. About Abby, much as I think it's shameful to put yourself in a position where other people will have to rescue you, perhaps at great risk to themselves, I also appreciate parents who will let their youngsters go out there and try themselves in an adventure.

June 28, 2010 9:08 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Texan99:
I can relate to what you're saying about letting one's offspring try new things, and maybe (since the Sunderland family had child #8 on the way) getting some of them out of the house frees up some "elbow room", but given the circumstances...it was still irresponsible, IMO.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures, though... :-)

June 30, 2010 12:25 AM  
Blogger Nylecoj said...

Love the bat picture. I agree with you on the digital pics. I take 100's and get to pick the good ones. Yours though, was truly awesome.

June 30, 2010 12:06 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Nylecoj:
I'm really pleased with how the bat picture came out...and I too often take hundreds and pick the good ones to share. I am actually considering sending that particular picture to the National Speleological Society as an entry in their annual Photo Salon contest, although the deadline for this year's submissions was May 15th. Maybe next year...

July 01, 2010 12:33 AM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter