.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Uncommonly Sensible

Keeping the "anal" in analytical... (While trying to remain civilized)

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The "long, green tunnel"

Some people use that phrase to disparage the Appalachian Trail, which has less spectacular views than other long distance trails such as the Continental Divide Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail, although the "A.T." isn't totally devoid of such views:


Some of the views inside the "long, green tunnel" can be interesting too though, such as the following:


Beauty, of course, being "in the eye of the beholder". Anyway, I was just out there for a few days and had some nice places to sleep sometimes:


My legs are happy that I'm done, however...for now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Camo,

Nice pics. Did you stop in to see Possum? How is he? As I suspected, I had to work on Saturday and Sunday. Took off Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday however. Did a lot of work around the house. It was hot here. How 'bout where you were?

(:D) Best regards...

May 31, 2012 8:30 PM  
Blogger Just call me Shelly said...

Great to hear (and see) from you again. Gosh I wish I would have hiked the trail when that was possible for me to do so.

Actually, I would be happy to go anywhere green and scenic. Getting awfully tired of shooting locally--especially with a new camera on the way.

Keep on trucking, er hiking!

May 31, 2012 10:43 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

You took some great pictures, Jack. I'm sure your legs ARE happy that you're done for now. I know my feet would be in that situation. ;-) Anyway, except for that snake, the pictures are beautiful...to this beholder, at least. :-)

June 01, 2012 12:40 AM  
Blogger Allen Maddox said...

Nice pics. Yes, the AT has some nice views if you look...

June 01, 2012 8:05 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
I did stop in to see Possum, yes...and he seems to be doing OK.

It was hot on the trail during the early part of the hike, then some (overnight) rain cooled things down nicely.

Shelly:
I wish I'd hiked the trail when I was unemployed in '96, but oh well. Now I'm trying to do the entire thing in sections.

Anyway, keep on hiking I shall, for as long as I am able.

Bunny:
What, you didn't like the snake?!

I'm glad that you liked the rest of the pictures, though.

Allen:
The AT definitely has some nice views, here and there...

June 01, 2012 10:27 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

There are some beautiful views, obviously, and you showed a few of them. Thanks! Hey, don't I recall you being a part of building that shelter? Still holding up, I see!

June 01, 2012 12:32 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Beerme:
There are some great views in spots along the AT, just fewer and farther between than those along the CDT and PCT.

I've worked on a number of shelters along the trail, but there are hundreds of them...and this was the first time that I hiked that particular section.

June 09, 2012 6:45 PM  

<< Home

Free Site Counters
hit Counter